:sunglasses: 40.6 % :pray: 8.5 % :laughing: 30.2 % 🧥 4.7 % :cry: 12.3 % :🤗 3.8 %
Youngian wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 3:15 pm
Boiler wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 2:37 pm
Crabcakes wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 2:28 pm I think nothing will come of it now. I think it will be held against them though in the long run - especially if they write it off as trivial. People are angry they didn’t stick to the rules as is.
The defence may well be that the rest of the country broke the laws too - I know my neighbour and her children did, repeatedly.
That’s not a legal defence but something a stroppy teenager would say after being fined at the magistrates.

If the Tories don’t want to remove Johnson then this episode will define who they and the Conservative party are, is Gavin Barwell’s take. Hope so.
It's what their new supporters will say. The men in grey suits might have a different opinion but they don't win elections.
Dalem Lake wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 2:08 pm Depressing as it is to say, I don't think anything will really come of it. They'll just brush it off like they've brushed every other piece of shit thing they've done.

Happy to be proved wrong though.
Nicked from elsewhere:
The apology will sound very close to this:

"May I remind you...may I remind you...that if the party opposite were in power we'd still be in lockdown and we'd still be in the European Union"

This will cause a massive cheer from the government benches and the front bench will point and smirk.

Or it could be "the members opposite might find it difficult to believe that the British public aren't interested in stopping hard working people enjoying themselves. The British public is interested in their government getting on with the job of delivering Brexit and growing the economy".

When Ian Blackford raises the issue he will be mocked for being Scottish, and his weight will be mocked. When other MPs raise the issue they'll be told they aren't listening, the answer has been given and they should pay more attention.
Or there could be the classic "I'm sorry if you feel like I broke the law".
Boiler liked this
davidjay wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 4:31 pm It didn't matter that he has no morals. It didn't matter that he repeatedly lies in Parliament. Why should it matter that he, his wife and the Chancellor broke the law?
Quite, I look forward to Hoyle meekly demanding that the pork haystack improve his behaviour otherwise it'll be such a stern talking to next time :roll:
Abernathy, Boiler liked this
Tubby Isaacs wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 5:09 pm Nobody in the Cabinet is commenting yet.
An anoraky Facebook chum has put together a handy table checklist.
Attachments
2AD888D0-8F85-469D-B969-A1EEE6E27267.jpeg
2AD888D0-8F85-469D-B969-A1EEE6E27267.jpeg (512.41 KiB) Viewed 1721 times
By Boiler
Nigredo wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 4:26 pm
Dalem Lake wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 2:08 pm Depressing as it is to say, I don't think anything will really come of it. They'll just brush it off like they've brushed every other piece of shit thing they've done.

Happy to be proved wrong though.
Nicked from elsewhere:
The apology will sound very close to this:

"May I remind you...may I remind you...that if the party opposite were in power we'd still be in lockdown and we'd still be in the European Union"

This will cause a massive cheer from the government benches and the front bench will point and smirk.

Or it could be "the members opposite might find it difficult to believe that the British public aren't interested in stopping hard working people enjoying themselves. The British public is interested in their government getting on with the job of delivering Brexit and growing the economy".

When Ian Blackford raises the issue he will be mocked for being Scottish, and his weight will be mocked. When other MPs raise the issue they'll be told they aren't listening, the answer has been given and they should pay more attention.
Or there could be the classic "I'm sorry if you feel like I broke the law".
Bang on the money, I'm afraid - especially what was 'nicked from elsewhere'. Although that omits the "fastest growing economy" stuff.
This is what really matters, of course - whether this has fucked Tory election prospects. And 57% saying resign isn’t good.

Sunak has gone from having an awful week to having a way back in an instant. He resigns for his 1 incident on principle, and Johnson is then stuck looking at potentially 5 incidents, with 1 already ruled on. His position would be impossible. Johnson will never lead the Tories again. Sunak could bide his time, make apologetic noises and be back in favour within 6 months, ready to take over whenever Truss or whoever is next in charge fucks up.
Well, I decided to actually do some work this afternoon. I come back out of the hole and am greeted by this!

Whether they are defending tossing off 15 year-old boys, general rapiness, tax dodging, or flouting the laws that they announced that very afternoon, this is that particularly tory-flavour of presumptious impunity that is bringing the public discourse to its knees. Next, it will be the economy (teetering anyway), then it will be the electoral system (a work in progress), and finally, it will be the country itself and whatever remaining glue that binds it, preventing it from becoming truly feral.

These are interesting times.
Nigredo liked this
Internationally, he is fucked if you discount an accomplished media performer who knows how to create top-notch footage while the shells are raining down.

Domestically, still 43% (Yougov) are not calling for his head. As the days and weeks pass, that number will likely grow.
By Boiler
From the Guardian live feed:

When asked if he will resign after becoming the first prime minister to have broken the law, Johnson says:

I have, of course, paid the FPN and I apologise once again for the mistake that I made and, as I said just now, I want to be able to get on and deliver the mandate that I have but also to tackle the problems that the country must face right now and make sure that we get on with delivering for the people of this country. That is my priority.

Johnson is reminded by the interviewer that the problem he faces is a lack of trust in him. He is asked if the fact he broke his own laws diminishes his respect among the public.

He says once again:

I believe it is my job to get on and deliver for the people of this country and that’s what I’m going to do.
long long title how many chars? lets see 123 ok more? yes 60

We have created lots of YouTube videos just so you can achieve [...]

Another post test yes yes yes or no, maybe ni? :-/

The best flat phpBB theme around. Period. Fine craftmanship and [...]

Do you need a super MOD? Well here it is. chew on this

All you need is right here. Content tag, SEO, listing, Pizza and spaghetti [...]

Lasagna on me this time ok? I got plenty of cash

this should be fantastic. but what about links,images, bbcodes etc etc? [...]