:sunglasses: 40.6 % :pray: 8.5 % :laughing: 30.2 % 🧥 4.7 % :cry: 12.3 % :🤗 3.8 %
By Boiler
Tubby Isaacs wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 3:41 pm The KX-Leeds fast trains are supposed to come on to the new line to create capacity on the ECML.

So either people stay with what they do now- no extra capacity on the ECML. Or they have to get a slower train than now, after we have spent not far short of that the much faster full HS2 would have cost.
Fing is... sections of the ECML were signalled and aligned to allow for 140mph running back when it was electrified, hence the InterCity 225 (kph) train. (This was the flashing green aspect.) However... the power supply was never upgraded for it and so it never happened, the trains being limited to 125mph. The Mk. IV coaching stock (now nearly all razor blades) was also built to have a kinematic envelope suitable for them to be retro-fitted for tilting operation.

What we could have had... :(
Tubby Isaacs liked this
Andy McDandy wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 4:14 pm https://www.theguardian.com/politics/li ... st-updates

Johnson sets out his proposals, timed to coincide with a Labour press conference. Funnily enough, he proposes pretty much what Labour were angling for. Starmer says "Well, that's tomorrow's vote won".

Lefty Twitter calling this an own goal by Starmer. Everyone else saying that Johnson just can't seem to bury this issue and it's a gift to the opposition. Also, is Christopher Chope a deep cover mole?
Think Starmer's been clever here. Nobody will seriously think Johnson led on this if he has to vote for Starmer's motion.

By saying Labour will go further in government, that sets a nice trap for Tory MPs to fill their boots before then, and drop themselves in the shit.
Oboogie liked this
By Boiler
According to La Kuenssberg, Johnson stole Starmer's thunder.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-59313199
A letter was miraculously posted online just after the stroke of 15:30 - when the Labour event began - from the prime minister to the Speaker of the House of Commons.

It called for a ban on MPs working as paid consultants and for MPs - perhaps like a certain Geoffrey Cox - who enjoy their paid extra curricular activities a little too much to face investigations by the sleaze watchdogs, with possible punishments to match.

Yes, that's right. The prime minister who a fortnight ago ordered his troops to protect one of their own who had fallen foul of the existing rules on lobbying, and defended the tradition of MPs being able to do outside work, is now proposing tighter rules and harsher penalties.

I hope you'd forgive me for gently pointing out that the timing of this change of heart is about as subtle as being smacked in the face.
Boiler wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 6:44 pm According to La Kuenssberg...
With the chances of him being able to bunk off for a few minutes to slip her a(nother) length being vanishingly slim, this slavish devotion would seem to be utterly pointless. Perhaps, we are all missing something.
Apparently he's sneaking in a clause to limit or cut off union funding. Not sure if or how that would work (besides, union money is the cleanest in politics), but Guido and Co are laughing like drains about it.
kreuzberger wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 8:24 pm
Boiler wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 6:44 pm According to La Kuenssberg...
With the chances of him being able to bunk off for a few minutes to slip her a(nother) length being vanishingly slim, this slavish devotion would seem to be utterly pointless. Perhaps, we are all missing something.
We'll see what honours she gets when she steps down form the Beeb.
Lady Kuenssberg of Tufton Street, with directorships in racehorces - or something.
Which he’s now following up with a piss poor performance in front of the Liaison Committee; are we finally seeing the begin of the end?
Oboogie liked this
He is really doing badly.

Not one committee chair has been in the least supportive, and his face when questioned by Caroline Noakes was priceless.

I think he is a dead man walking, but he's been here before and recovered.
Oboogie liked this
I might have got the wrong impression from the live blog, but did Johnson basically tell Tobias Ellwood (Captain Ellwood , formerly of the Royal Greenjackets) he was living in the past, and needed to get with the cybersomething?

I've a feeling Tobias may not have been very happy with that.
Watchman wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 3:40 pm Which he’s now following up with a piss poor performance in front of the Liaison Committee; are we finally seeing the begin of the end?
He's not fond of this committee. From October 2019.

https://www.politicshome.com/news/artic ... third-time
The Prime Minister had already delayed his first sesson with the group - made up of select committee chairs - in August before cancelling for a second time in September as a result of his decision to unlawfully prorogue Parliament.

But in a hand written note sent to Ms Wollaston on Wednesday evening, Mr Johnson said he was cancelling Thursday morning's session and instead proposed a date marking "five or six months" after he became PM..

"I promised that I would come to the Liaison Committee and I will keep that promise but I am afraid I must now focus on delivering Brexit and the difficult circumstances in which we now find ourselves," he wrote.
Oboogie liked this
Boiler wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 3:47 pm
Watchman wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 3:40 pm Which he’s now following up with a piss poor performance in front of the Liaison Committee; are we finally seeing the begin of the end?
No.
I thought he was here for the duration, but he's making some powerful enemies now and the Tories have never hesitated in ditching a leader once their usefulness was through.
Watchman liked this
long long title how many chars? lets see 123 ok more? yes 60

We have created lots of YouTube videos just so you can achieve [...]

Another post test yes yes yes or no, maybe ni? :-/

The best flat phpBB theme around. Period. Fine craftmanship and [...]

Do you need a super MOD? Well here it is. chew on this

All you need is right here. Content tag, SEO, listing, Pizza and spaghetti [...]

Lasagna on me this time ok? I got plenty of cash

this should be fantastic. but what about links,images, bbcodes etc etc? [...]