:pray: 50 % :laughing: 50 %
By Tubby Isaacs
I love that quote up there. "Stop the world, we want to get off".

It's like some pub bore who doesn't like accountants. "When I started at the firm, there was one guy, Desmond, who did all the books, knew the business backwards. And Marjorie, who worked part-time. And Sally the school leaver. Now we've got a finance director, a financial controller, a financial accountant, a management acccountant (accountancy shouldn't have anything to do with management, if you ask me), a so-called trainee accountant, and God knows what those other people do..."

At least that guy probably doesn't have a grand theory that these finance people are a fifth column who just invent new ways to replicate more finance roles and frustrate the government (what's the government got to do with how a business organises itself?). And at least that guy isn't running to be Leader of the Opposition.

What's Badenoch's policy? Make all discrimination legal again? I thought the Tory base wanted more of this sort of HR, to check ageism.
By Tubby Isaacs
"The bureaucrat class" "damages social tensions" apparently. I assume this means "casuses damaging social tensions".

"Everything was going fine till we got that new HR manager in, and she started telling the workforce about critical race theory, and now we're bankrupt", said nobody ever. One of the most bizarre things about this stuff is that elsewhere it rams home that "Labour think they know better than business". What's Kemi doing then?

And as an aside, Ed Milliband "knows better than the energy industry". Policy on climate change has been fairly bipartisan, apart from onshore wind. The Carbon Capture projects were developed by the Tory Government, so we keep getting told. What Milliband is doing with onshore wind is pro-the onshore wind industry.
By Tubby Isaacs
Paywalled unfortunately. John Burn-Murdoch on the relative rise of women's pay, outcomes. You'd expect this to have happened earlier, given the relative difference in educational attainment, but stil very striking.

https://www.ft.com/content/17606f25-1d0 ... pe=blocked

I haven't been able to read it, but sounds like one for Kemi's team who were complaining about the finance regulator pushing for 40% of these women creatures on boards. This was an example of, need it be said, the "bureaucratic class", imposing terrible burdens on business- ie a business would have to write a letter.
By Andy McDandy
Tubby Isaacs wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2024 10:55 am The "bureacratic class" includes all non--academic staff in universities and everyone who works in HR. And presumably Margaret Thatcher, Tom King and Alan Clark who oversaw cuts in Defence spending at the end of the Cold War.

One of the main "indentities" around the environment seems to be people worried about house prices, promoted by Conservative politicians, not lefty liberal bureaucrats.

The right resisted every one of them, unless it was for people like them. They tolerated change, the moment they knew how to monetise it. And they accepted it because the alternative was losing votes.
mattomac liked this
By Tubby Isaacs
Andy McDandy wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2024 11:59 am
The right resisted every one of them, unless it was for people like them. They tolerated change, the moment they knew how to monetise it. And they accepted it because the alternative was losing votes.
"Whether you agree with it or not". They only tolerated gay rights because David Cameron made them and cleverly tied it in with traditional Tory stuff about families. And he'd at least some fairly recent experience of working at Carlton and knew what HR did.
By Tubby Isaacs
Talking of Cameron, here's his former speech writer, Ian Birrell, on Badenoch.
Another key issue is the low status of carers in society. And this was demonstrated by his rival Kemi Badenoch during the conference hustings, when she talked about focusing on the future “not just who’s going to wipe bottoms for us today.”

No wonder social care never gets fixed and carers are left badly paid when a prominent politician sneers so dismissively at workers performing a public service. And now Badenoch, in a report called “Conservatism in Crisis” released this month, argues that autism diagnosis can give children “better treatment at school” and “offers economic advantages and protection” – an offensive claim far removed from the grim reality of many despairing citizens and families struggling for support.

Such is the tragic state of today’s Conservative party. Arrogant, blustering, heartless and out of touch with concerns of ordinary people. There is hollow talk of renewal, but we see again why this historically formidable election fighting machine crashed and burned.
mattomac liked this
By Andy McDandy
Strip back the flowery language and it's just basic twat in the pub common sense shit. Everything would be right if those bloody pen pushers stopped interfering. I mean, nothing wrong with them gays and that, but fair's fair, they got their business made legal now, what more do they want? And yeah, unions. You got yer basic rights but we're not sending kids up chimneys any more, mind you it'd do some of them a world of good. And I had to put in a bloody ramp, never mind that none of the Bennies ever come in my place, while that daft hippy bint over the way just has to put a rainbow flag in her so-called "wholefood shop"....
By Tubby Isaacs
Tory MPs consider resigning over Labour’s second job crackdown
Senior party sources said that they expected ‘a drip of resignations’ to begin after the Conservative Party leadership contest
Per The Times. Not sure if this will happen, or whether the crackdown will even be that strict, but wouldn't be surprised. Some of the saner MPs will be the more marketable ones in terms of outside work, and the combined prospect of these leadership candidates and less money might help usher a couple on their way.
By Youngian
Tubby Isaacs wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2024 1:12 pm Important to get the support of the philosopher king.

Only eighth months until Dan Hannan Day to mark what Dan predicted life in Brexit Britain would be like in June 2025. More like a letter to the Eagle comic than Edmund Burke
https://reaction.life/britain-looks-like-brexit/
Tubby Isaacs liked this
By mattomac
Tubby Isaacs wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2024 1:19 pm
Tory MPs consider resigning over Labour’s second job crackdown
Senior party sources said that they expected ‘a drip of resignations’ to begin after the Conservative Party leadership contest
Per The Times. Not sure if this will happen, or whether the crackdown will even be that strict, but wouldn't be surprised. Some of the saner MPs will be the more marketable ones in terms of outside work, and the combined prospect of these leadership candidates and less money might help usher a couple on their way.
Handy excuse to why you are leaving and has nothing to do with the loser they’ve just chosen
By davidjay
As someone brought up with Heseltine's claim that the Tories were the most effective election-fighting machine in Western Europe , these are incredible days. They've overnight turned into Labour post-83, explaining away cataclysmic defeat as happening not because they were seen as extremists, but because they weren't extreme enough. They're chasing the Reform vote without reaiising that a big chunk of said vote is now full-on WEF/Great Reset/Covid-denying batshitters who won't vote Tory under any leader who isn't Farage.
long long title how many chars? lets see 123 ok more? yes 60

We have created lots of YouTube videos just so you can achieve [...]

Another post test yes yes yes or no, maybe ni? :-/

The best flat phpBB theme around. Period. Fine craftmanship and [...]

Do you need a super MOD? Well here it is. chew on this

All you need is right here. Content tag, SEO, listing, Pizza and spaghetti [...]

Lasagna on me this time ok? I got plenty of cash

this should be fantastic. but what about links,images, bbcodes etc etc? [...]