:laughing: 100 %
By davidjay
The trouble with Brentry, or whatever label it will be given, is that it would be too time-consuming at a time when there's so much to do. We've seen that whatever the government or its individual members does will be criticised unmercifully so at this point there's little to be gained by plunging into another battle in a war that most people thought was over.
By Tubby Isaacs
The Guardian is really not being helpful is it?

https://www.theguardian.com/education/2 ... in-schools
Major fears over Labour’s nursery plan for 9-month-olds in schools
Early years experts warn of lack of staff, playgrounds and toilets
Major fears?!

Some fair points are made about very young children, the adaptations that'll have to be made and the budget for it, but it's also pointed out that lots of schools have wanted to do this anyway. Among the points made is that windows might be too high, like playgroups haven't been run in church halls since forever. Is that really a "major fear"? Sounds like one for "this isnt ideal, but if it takes off, we can fix that later". Same with other stuff mentioned like the need for a special playground for the nursery kids directly connected to the room they're in.

Apparently Labour is under "intense pressure" on this issue. Sure, it was a manifesto promise, but it was a Tory promise as well, and they never looked like getting it done.
By Tubby Isaacs
Some good news here I've just seen.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/c14zyz2mnjlo

Lou Haigh's changed the decision by the previous government (under pressure from the likes of Theresa Villiers) to block building flats on the car park at Cockfosters tube station. There will now be 350 new flats, with a much smaller car park catering only to blue badge holders and pick up/drop off.

There are quite a lot of sites near stations in London/the South East that could be used for housing.
By Tubby Isaacs
davidjay wrote: Sat Sep 28, 2024 3:38 pm It's all starting to look like the sort of clickbait that football websites use - "Transfer shock as City star leaves" means Coventry have given some young lad a free transfer.
Yep.

Major fears suggests that the kids are going to get eaten by lions or something. What it means is "Labour probably won't make this target, and some of the provision won't be ideal".

Sometimes targets and promises like this aren't helpful, but in this case I think the prize (using existing buildings more efficiently, the convenience to parents, before we even mention the advantages of the nursery itself) are such that they'd give political impetus to getting the adaptations done.
By Tubby Isaacs
Who could have foreseen this? Loads of poor pensioners have signed up for pension credit.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... ysis-finds

The line from the Government about targeting spending on those most in need is sensible. It should have been made more clear more quickly, but it's a good policy result. The Tories are going to have explain why they allowed so many people to go without the help they were entitled to.
Watchman, Dalem Lake, Arrowhead and 2 others liked this
By Tubby Isaacs
I think this would be good. She and Ed Vaizey seem to be leading on this, with the implication that Starmer is happy with a deal.
Thangam Debbonaire
‪@thangamdebbonaire.bsky.social‬
So this is happening - I’m off to Athens to help demonstrate cross party support for reuniting the Parthenon Sculptures. Today interview published in Greek national newspaper Ta Nea.
By Abernathy
The common factor here is that anti-Labour media actors are clearly engaged on digging up whatever information that they can on Starmer, Rayner, Phillipson, Gray, and anyone else, and desperately trying to portray whatever it is as corruption and graft. The facts in every single case, however, demonstrate that there is no such thing involved, that no rules were contravened, no laws were broken, everything above board, everything properly declared. The worst that can be said about anything is that it involves poor “optics” (in plain English, it just looks bad, when the reality is that nothing bad is actually involved).

The intended effect is to undermine trust in Labour’s government and foment public dissatisfaction. And it seems to be working. I’m fairly sure that when Keir said that he was “prepared to be unpopular”, this is not what he was talking about.

Labour needs to address the “optics” issue properly, spike these bastards’ guns, and deprive them of their ammunition. This might involve a better awareness of how all kinds of things might look, or be made to look, but in the immediate term I’d suggest it requires a re-boot of the comms operation in Downing Street. I understand that Messrs Campbell and Mandelson may be available. But we’ve got five years.
Oboogie, davidjay, Dalem Lake and 2 others liked this
long long title how many chars? lets see 123 ok more? yes 60

We have created lots of YouTube videos just so you can achieve [...]

Another post test yes yes yes or no, maybe ni? :-/

The best flat phpBB theme around. Period. Fine craftmanship and [...]

Do you need a super MOD? Well here it is. chew on this

All you need is right here. Content tag, SEO, listing, Pizza and spaghetti [...]

Lasagna on me this time ok? I got plenty of cash

this should be fantastic. but what about links,images, bbcodes etc etc? [...]