:sunglasses: 28.6 % :pray: 14.3 % :laughing: 32.1 % :cry: 25 %
By Abernathy
The fly in the ointment is that probably none of the other possible contenders for the Democrats’ presidential nomination would wish to be seen to challenge the first ever black, female VP, who has the endorsement of the retiring president to boot. Selecting the right replacement for Biden risks rendering the Democrats vulnerable to damaging public perceptions of disunity. I rather suspect that in going with Harris, the choice of her running mate may take on a crucial aspect. A Harris/Newsome ticket might just do the trick.
By kreuzberger
There was an inevitability about Biden's call, although we might reflect later on just how politically astute that was: the window for squabbling has been immeasurably tightened and the stage for Dem grandstanding has been all but wiped out.

If it now comes down to who Harris ropes in as running mate, I believe that the campaign can then focus on the real enemy with his army of medieval peasants.
By Samanfur
I'm hoping for Mark Kelly. His history with the police will put some off, but his blue collar background, military experience and personal experience of gun violence would really screw with Trump's attacks.
Arrowhead, Oboogie liked this
By Arrowhead
Samanfur wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2024 7:40 am I'm hoping for Mark Kelly. His history with the police will put some off, but his blue collar background, military experience and personal experience of gun violence would really screw with Trump's attacks.
Yes, he’d be a very good choice. I think Senator Warnock of Georgia would be worth consideration by the Dems as well. He might be too much of a God-botherer for some, but the likes of Kelly or Warnock might help keep those few million Never Trump 2020 voters on board from the GOP.

Ideally though, I suppose the Democrats would prefer somebody who doesn’t risk exposing a vulnerable seat on the Senate.

Lots of chatter this morning about Michelle Obama, I think her being the candidate would cause MAGA World to spontaneously combust with rage.
By Abernathy
Interesting point raised this morning by Justin Webb, of all people.

Might it not be better for the Democrats if Joe Biden not only stepped down as the Democrats 2024 nominee for president, but also stepped down immediately from the office of president?

This would have two benefits :

- It would immediately spike the developing attack line that if Biden isn't fit to run for re-election as president in 2024, then he isn't fit to be president in any event (Trump of course has to go further and say that Biden never was fit to be president).

- It would confer on Kamala Harris the advantage of being able to fight the election as the incumbent, and quite possibly afford her the opportunity, over the coming four months, to demonstrate in real time how capable and effective she is at being president in real life/real time., and how deserving she therefore is of re-election.

This is, I think, a very good point.
By Malcolm Armsteen
Interesting idea, and one which must have occurred. I suppose that the DNC would not want Biden's presidency to end that way.

Out if interest, in that scenario (similar to Johnson) who becomes vp?
By Youngian
This is, I think, a very good point.

It is, hadn’t thought about that one.
I take it Kelly is of Irish origin, a bit of bejeezus and begorrah on the campaign trail won’t do any harm.
Josh Shapiro is another good Veep choice. Clinched the Pennsylvania governorship with a very convincing margin.
By Youngian
Samanfur wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2024 7:40 am I'm hoping for Mark Kelly. His history with the police will put some off, but his blue collar background, military experience and personal experience of gun violence would really screw with Trump's attacks.
And an astronaut. Bloomin eck, he’s from central casting.
Attachments
IMG_7161.jpeg
IMG_7161.jpeg (440.92 KiB) Viewed 716 times
Last edited by Youngian on Mon Jul 22, 2024 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
By Andy McDandy
And from the rugged, down to Earth state of New Mexico. A border state, with a high Latino population. Just about frontier enough to still be pro-small government and individual freedom/responsibility but without being a dick about it.
long long title how many chars? lets see 123 ok more? yes 60

We have created lots of YouTube videos just so you can achieve [...]

Another post test yes yes yes or no, maybe ni? :-/

The best flat phpBB theme around. Period. Fine craftmanship and [...]

Do you need a super MOD? Well here it is. chew on this

All you need is right here. Content tag, SEO, listing, Pizza and spaghetti [...]

Lasagna on me this time ok? I got plenty of cash

this should be fantastic. but what about links,images, bbcodes etc etc? [...]