:sunglasses: 30 % :pray: 10 % :laughing: 60 %
By Malcolm Armsteen
Answered it m'self.

Emmett came 4th, but for the first time kept his deposit. Though Emmett's deposits are something I'd rather not think about.

davidjay, Nigredo liked this
By Arrowhead
davidjay wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2024 11:05 pm Now it's all over, does anyone else feel a bit flat? The results were better than I expected, Reform Ltd didn't do what they hoped, the only real disappointment was Corbyn winning. But whether it's because the total votes wasn't great, or Galloway and Farage's pension plans between them have made the country a nastier placee, that Johnson poisoned the country against politicians or whether it's the realisation that the real work starts now, I don't have a fraction of the sheer joy that was 1997.
I wouldn't say I feel flat, but I'm surprised that I'm not feeling more elated than I expected to be. I think part of the problem is that, to be brutally honest, this needed to happen years before now i.e. the damage has already been done. I'd swap all of the fun and games from last night for a simple ten seat Labour majority back in 2015, when things were still fixable.
Watchman liked this
By Crabcakes
I felt a bit deflated when it wasn’t a Tory wipeout of double digit performance. But actually, I’ve been steadily enjoying the day more and more as it has gone on. Starmer’s speech was great, and genuinely touching - not boastful, not gloating, but just eager to get on and proud to serve. Then I’ve been really impressed with the appointments and the approach to them. And then just the fact things like Streeting calling the doctor’s union before he’s probably even got his name on an office door, and the apparent new code of conduct from Sue Grey. And this isn’t in an attempt to win anything more - it’s just what will now be normal service.

After 14 years of increasing ridiculousness, callousness, ineptitude, laziness, entitlement and a complete absence of taking responsibility, it’s going to take a bit of time to adjust. But I actually feel genuinely hopeful tonight. I think it’s going to be hard work, but they clearly have plans and are already underway which is more than anyone expected less than a day in. And I already get the impression Starmer is going to quietly impress and annoy - impress because of his ability to simply get stuff done with no fuss and no demand for plaudits for doing so, and annoy because the trots and the right wing are going to be disappointed he isn’t a red Tory in how he governs and he is clearly an honest and decent man, respectively.

It’s just such a relief.
mattomac, Dalem Lake, Watchman and 3 others liked this
By satnav
I had a look at the results in Derbyshire and it was pretty clear that most of the Labour gains and holds in Derbyshire were facilitated by the Reform Party gaining around 10,000 votes in most constituencies. This does seem a bit odd because immigration really doesn't seem to be a big issue in most constituencies other than Bolsover.

I think Reform may have benefited from the fact that the County Council is Tory controlled and the council has made a lot of spending cuts recently and many of the Labour controlled Borough and District councils have also made lots of spending cuts.
By Youngian
Whole heartedly feel the same. Unless you’re a Farage, Corbyn or Galloway, opposition politics is a shitty, dispiriting and draining experience.
I’m hoping London is going to be a zeitgeist again for the nation. It was first off the mark in electing a populist clown to lead the city but is now happy with a slightly dull but decent hard working leader who gets on with the job.
Arrowhead liked this
By Youngian
This does seem a bit odd because immigration really doesn't seem to be a big issue in most constituencies other than Bolsover.

Immigration can be a big issue in places that have little of it. And Leave voters might be in a Trotskyist phase of real Brexit betrayed by the elites rather than admitting what a dumb fucking choice they made.
By Andy McDandy
Immigration is an euphemism for what they really don't like. One word beginning with N, another with P. And for them, one is too much.
By Killer Whale
Tubby Isaacs wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2024 9:53 am Emmett did fairly respectably, I think. They got more in 2015 as UKIP though.
I'm going to be honest about this: In Ynys Môn there's already an None of the Above candidate with an actual chance of winning. Llinos has a chance now to put the hard work in and prove, as has Rhun in the Senedd, that she can offer an intelligent, considered voice for the island.
By Tubby Isaacs
davidjay wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2024 11:05 pm Now it's all over, does anyone else feel a bit flat? The results were better than I expected, Reform Ltd didn't do what they hoped, the only real disappointment was Corbyn winning. But whether it's because the total votes wasn't great, or Galloway and Farage's pension plans between them have made the country a nastier placee, that Johnson poisoned the country against politicians or whether it's the realisation that the real work starts now, I don't have a fraction of the sheer joy that was 1997.
I know what you mean. The vote share is a lot lower than expected, but I the election lacked Brexit this time, a massive polarising issue that could guarantee both main parties a lot of votes in 2017 and 2019. Plus Reform didn't really fight those elections like they did this one. And "small boats" has been an enormous issue to lots of people who've voted for them. This takes Labour votes too- lots of Reform voters say Labour second.
By Tubby Isaacs
Killer Whale wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2024 10:23 am
I'm going to be honest about this: In Ynys Môn there's already an None of the Above candidate with an actual chance of winning. Llinos has a chance now to put the hard work in and prove, as has Rhun in the Senedd, that she can offer an intelligent, considered voice for the island.
Do you think Plaid got votes that could have gone to Emmett? Or am I misunderstanding?
By Killer Whale
Tubby Isaacs wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2024 10:36 am
Killer Whale wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2024 10:23 am
Do you think Plaid got votes that could have gone to Emmett? Or am I misunderstanding?
Yes. I think we picked up negative votes in both Môn and Caerfyrddin. I don't think everyone who voted Reform is a racist nutter, and Plaid give them an outlet in the west of Wales. I was talking to some Reform activists at the count, and there was a clear difference between the old, blazer-wearing UKIP types (English-speaking) and some younger people (bilingual in the main) who were simply disillusioned by the hopelessness of absolutely everything and had been attracted by the simple analysis and solutions being offered by Reform. These people could easily have swung to Plaid, but we tend to be a lot more honest about the scale and complexities of the issues that face us.
By satnav
I think the fact that a landslide had been predicted for much of the campaign way well have lead to some Labour voters staying at home. Labour activists were busy in my area on Thursday trying to ensure people went out to vote but in areas where activists are thin on the ground turnout may have been lower.
Many students probably didn't vote because they have just left their university accommodation and might not be registered at home, a lot of 18 year olds who have just completed their 'A' levels are currently away taking advantage of cheap holidays.

Labour clearly targeted the right seats in order to secure there large majority but they didn't really tackle Reform head on. They were quite happy to allow Reform to eat into the Tory vote share in many areas. Certainly in Derbyshire most of the seats gained came about because Reform picked up around 10,000 votes in the seats.

Immigration really isn't a big issue in Derbyshire apart from may be Bolsover where there is a large immigrant workforce because of the Sports Direct warehouse. I think Reform may have benefited from the fact that the Tory controlled country council is unpopular because it is making a lot of spending cuts. Most of the district councils are Labour controlled and they are also raising council taxes and cutting services. Reform could easily have exploited this situation to garner protest votes.
By safe_timber_man
Can see what people mean about feeling a bit 'flat' but to be fair, this wasn't an exciting surprise. We knew it would happen and I think we're just in the 'now let's get to work' stage rather than wanting to party in the streets. The country is still a fucking mess. FPTP has suddenly become such a hot topic...the day after the Tories were voted out, and a very angry media class are doing everything they can to take the shine off it. I'm very happy, though. Things already feel more stable. Just looking at the cabinet choices gives hope that things are going to be genuinely very different. And now, rather than getting frustrated at seeing the toxic, gnashing and snarling I just smile when I see it.
By Tubby Isaacs
Killer Whale wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2024 10:53 am
Yes. I think we picked up negative votes in both Môn and Caerfyrddin. I don't think everyone who voted Reform is a racist nutter, and Plaid give them an outlet in the west of Wales. I was talking to some Reform activists at the count, and there was a clear difference between the old, blazer-wearing UKIP types (English-speaking) and some younger people (bilingual in the main) who were simply disillusioned by the hopelessness of absolutely everything and had been attracted by the simple analysis and solutions being offered by Reform. These people could easily have swung to Plaid, but we N
That is interesting. I didn't know Welsh-speaking Reform leaners was a thing. Though Carrnarfon (castle apart) looked fairly like the sort of place a lot of Kippers might live, in retrospect.

And congratulations, by the way!
By Youngian
Three more utter tossers it’s good riddance to:
Brexit loon Ann Marie Trevelyan, slavery plantation heir Richard Drax and charmless moron Tom Hunt. Tom has reflected on his defeat and identified the culprits, immigrants.
Attachments
IMG_7023.jpeg
IMG_7023.jpeg (288.32 KiB) Viewed 432 times
Arrowhead liked this
long long title how many chars? lets see 123 ok more? yes 60

We have created lots of YouTube videos just so you can achieve [...]

Another post test yes yes yes or no, maybe ni? :-/

The best flat phpBB theme around. Period. Fine craftmanship and [...]

Do you need a super MOD? Well here it is. chew on this

All you need is right here. Content tag, SEO, listing, Pizza and spaghetti [...]

Lasagna on me this time ok? I got plenty of cash

this should be fantastic. but what about links,images, bbcodes etc etc? [...]