:sunglasses: 25.8 % :pray: 14.5 % :laughing: 37.1 % 🧥 1.6 % :cry: 12.9 % :🤗 6.5 % :poo: 1.6 %
By Andy McDandy
Bones McCoy wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2023 7:46 pm
Tubby Isaacs wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 4:58 pm Ex-ministers can get well-paid jobs, no problem there. What they're keen to avoid is having to run it past ACOBA.
I fail to see why when Alex and Nadine managed to ignore ACOBA without sanction.
Not giving a flying fuck might have something to do with it.
By Tubby Isaacs
The naming of Rosindell has got the usual bunch frothing about Nick Brown.. Like these people.

Because suspending Brown openly is just like not suspending Rosindell and reselecting him as an MP, or something. Sounds like the only answer Starmer could give, but there must be a superinjunction, per the BTL brains trust.

By Youngian
Scotland Yard confirmed a man in his 50s was arrested on suspicion of indecent assault, sexual assault, rape, abuse of position of trust and misconduct in a public office. https://blackislemedia.com/2022/05/17/t ... -offences/

Rosindell enjoys 65 percent of the vote in Romford but this will hit hard it stands in the next election. He’ll be down to 55%.
By Boiler
Crabcakes wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 1:34 pm My questions based on this poll: who are these absolutely insane people in the party of government, and what exactly do they think is going to lead to such a reversal of fortune?

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/ar ... g-win-next
Actually, I think they could well be right. I'm getting 1992 vibes here and remember, the next GE is eighteen months away; plenty of time for Sunak's fortunes to reverse/Starmer to fuck up.

I'm expecting a minority Conservative government.
By davidjay
Boiler wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 2:12 pm
Crabcakes wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 1:34 pm My questions based on this poll: who are these absolutely insane people in the party of government, and what exactly do they think is going to lead to such a reversal of fortune?

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/ar ... g-win-next
Actually, I think they could well be right. I'm getting 1992 vibes here and remember, the next GE is eighteen months away; plenty of time for Sunak's fortunes to reverse/Starmer to fuck up.

They had nowhere near the same level of contempt aimed at them in the run-up to 1992 and have nowhere near the same quality of MPs.
Oboogie, Dalem Lake liked this
By Andy McDandy
In 1992 Major was in a pretty good position. The economy hadn't yet crashed (there was a recession but it was a recession everywhere, so not our fault guv), he'd scored well on foreign policy thanks to Nicholas Ridley blowing his own foot off over Europe (and making the Europhobes look daft), the Gulf War, taking a moral lead in the former Yugoslavia, and a genuine rapport with Bush senior. His problems mainly were that he was boring and didn't have many new ideas (as opposed to many bad ideas).
Watchman, Oboogie liked this
By Crabcakes
Boiler wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 2:12 pm Actually, I think they could well be right. I'm getting 1992 vibes here and remember, the next GE is eighteen months away; plenty of time for Sunak's fortunes to reverse/Starmer to fuck up.

I can understand the jitters, but it’s not the same scenario at all. The Tories have a pissed off former leader who will openly sabotage Sunak out of spite, they are 40 sitting MPs down and rising, they have no respected heavy hitters left, they have the covid inquiry and ongoing investigations that will be constant reminding people that they partied while others suffered, and another winter of insane fuel bills and potential strikes to get through. Major had some infighting about Europe and ‘sleaze’ that compared to the current lot wouldn’t even register as a blip. And Labour have the unexpected advantage of an SNP meltdown into the bargain.
Watchman, Oboogie liked this
By Tubby Isaacs
Halfon is a mixed bag, to say the least, but he used to chair the Education Select Committee. Might be more a Chloe Smith happening here- minister sent out to take shit because nobody knows who they are. And WTF was that "15 months" metric? That's really not all that long, in a working life of something like 45 years. Lots of people take Business Studies, Does that become useless if you work at a lower level in a business for a while?
Last edited by Tubby Isaacs on Mon Jul 17, 2023 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Andy McDandy
He also seemed to be saying that the "usefulness" of a course should be based on outcomes, but failed to say how the link between outcome and employment (forgetting amount earned at the moment) would be established, or indeed measured. Universities already measure graduate employment, but it's not really possible to link course easily with career (except in cases such as medicine and vocational degrees and degree apprenticeships). To take one random example, would a middling degree in classics lead the average student to editing a magazine straight out of uni?

Short version is that this is just more posturing, more "bloody students"/"ivory tower academics", more sneering at Harry bloody Potter studies because it's obviously 3 years of watching kids' films a as opposed to examining trends in current children's literature, while the posh little rich kids doing their bloody Grecian urns get a pass because daddy's got them lined up for something anyway when they decide to make a few bob.
Dalem Lake liked this
long long title how many chars? lets see 123 ok more? yes 60

We have created lots of YouTube videos just so you can achieve [...]

Another post test yes yes yes or no, maybe ni? :-/

The best flat phpBB theme around. Period. Fine craftmanship and [...]

Do you need a super MOD? Well here it is. chew on this

All you need is right here. Content tag, SEO, listing, Pizza and spaghetti [...]

Lasagna on me this time ok? I got plenty of cash

this should be fantastic. but what about links,images, bbcodes etc etc? [...]