:sunglasses: 25.8 % :pray: 14.5 % :laughing: 37.1 % 🧥 1.6 % :cry: 12.9 % :🤗 6.5 % :poo: 1.6 %
By mattomac
Tubby Isaacs wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 9:52 pm Policy genius here.
To see off a feared backlash from MPs and the wider Conservative party, ministers are drawing up plans to stop family members from joining overseas master’s students at British universities. But their demands have been briefed against by Treasury and Department for Education sources.
I bet they've briefed against it.
International postgraduate tuition fees vary from £9,000 - £30,000. The average cost is estimated to be around £17,109 per year.
I would hazard a guess that a lot of people doing a Masters have rather employable spouses too. What's the problem? Are police reporting an epidemic of crime by kids whose Mum/Dad are doing a Masters degree?
It’s a way they can get their immigration figures down, it is literally it.

Fuck the sector.
By Andy McDandy
I live in a city with 2 universities, which underpin the local economy. Were it not for them, we wouldn't have the hi-tech industries that have sprung up locally in the last few years, or a vibrant arts scene which rivals many much bigger places. In our local supermarket there's a sushi bar. The city centre is full of restaurants offering every cuisine you can think of. Without the HE sector, we'd be like the faded seaside town up the road (and even that's making a comeback).

And yet, every local forum or discussion group is full of "bloody students, wrecked the town, can't speak English, half of them, remember when we had proper shops?".

I should add, the cost of living here is no greater than the national average. They would happily burn it all down, just for spite.
By Tubby Isaacs
Andy McDandy wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 5:17 am I live in a city with 2 universities, which underpin the local economy. Were it not for them, we wouldn't have the hi-tech industries that have sprung up locally in the last few years, or a vibrant arts scene which rivals many much bigger places. In our local supermarket there's a sushi bar. The city centre is full of restaurants offering every cuisine you can think of. Without the HE sector, we'd be like the faded seaside town up the road (and even that's making a comeback).

And yet, every local forum or discussion group is full of "bloody students, wrecked the town, can't speak English, half of them, remember when we had proper shops?".

I should add, the cost of living here is no greater than the national average. They would happily burn it all down, just for spite.
That's utterly depressing.

As Matt said on the other thread, universities have lots of problems (mostly down to the government not putting enough money in), but they're a very underrated part of regeneration, as healthcare can be when that's funded properly. But there's a load of rightwing (though not exclusively) bollocks about how these aren't real jobs. One of the ironies is that while this is bad, the government moving part of the Treasury to Darlington (let's see how many senior people move) is regarded as some sort of political masterstroke. Somewhere like Sunderland has a much better chance of keeping hold of its young people if there's a university to work at.

And I bet Danny Kruger would rather his kids worked in a university than did low value manufacturing.
By Yug
Tubby Isaacs wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 11:18 am

Here's another one. As John Harris says, death rattle.

So Moggy is actually going to state in public that *proper* Conservatives are anti-family? That's a very brave thing to do.

I won't ask if he's thought this through as I don't believe he's capable of rational coherent thought. In fact, none of 'em in the "Bring Back Boris" faction appear to be of sound mind. And that's not meant to be a cheap 'mental health' dig.
By Andy McDandy
I look at him and what I see is "Because I say so". He's never had to work out the reasons for what he tells others to do, just flash his prefect badge or invoke the authority of his post and pull rank. He's never really had to think.
Spoonman liked this
By Andy McDandy
Tubby Isaacs wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 11:06 am Somewhere like Sunderland has a much better chance of keeping hold of its young people if there's a university to work at.

And I bet Danny Kruger would rather his kids worked in a university than did low value manufacturing.
The young people love it - you get biggish names playing locally, a thriving club scene, job opportunities aplenty, and you don't need to head down to Manchester or Liverpool for a good night out.

It's mostly the older 30+ C2DE fuckwits. A good proportion of whom work at one of the campuses.
Oboogie liked this
By Rosvanian
Yug wrote: So Moggy is actually going to state in public that *proper* Conservatives are anti-family? That's a very brave thing to do.
He thinks the true conservative way is for the mother to stay at home with the sproggs while the man of the house goes off to work and presumably has his dinner and a martini ready for him when he comes home at 6pm. There is therefore no requirement for childcare. Or, in his case, the live-in nanny does the graft leaving the wife/mother to look fragrant on his return from the office.
By Bones McCoy
Rosvanian wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 12:16 pm
Yug wrote: So Moggy is actually going to state in public that *proper* Conservatives are anti-family? That's a very brave thing to do.
He thinks the true conservative way is for the mother to stay at home with the sproggs while the man of the house goes off to work and presumably has his dinner and a martini ready for him when he comes home at 6pm. There is therefore no requirement for childcare. Or, in his case, the live-in nanny does the graft leaving the wife/mother to look fragrant on his return from the office.
Nanny/ies take care of the kids.
Wifey takes care of the ponies.

Optional extra, (though not in Mogg's carse) parliamentary researcher takes care of the blowjobs.
By Youngian
Yug wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 11:55 am
Tubby Isaacs wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 11:18 am

Here's another one. As John Harris says, death rattle.

So Moggy is actually going to state in public that *proper* Conservatives are anti-family? That's a very brave thing to do.

I won't ask if he's thought this through as I don't believe he's capable of rational coherent thought. In fact, none of 'em in the "Bring Back Boris" faction appear to be of sound mind. And that's not meant to be a cheap 'mental health' dig.
Proper Conservatives are anti giving money to other people’s families. If you want kids, you pay for them. Not a positive attitude if you’re concerned about reproducing the Aryan race.
By Samanfur
Andy McDandy wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 12:06 pmIt's mostly the older 30+ C2DE fuckwits. A good proportion of whom work at one of the campuses.
The number being as low as 30+ intrigues me. I thought that you were talking about OAPs at first, given that we were both there over 20 years ago, and can vouch that the student economy was firmly entrenched back then.
By Andy McDandy
Samanfur wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 9:09 pm
Andy McDandy wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 12:06 pmIt's mostly the older 30+ C2DE fuckwits. A good proportion of whom work at one of the campuses.
The number being as low as 30+ intrigues me. I thought that you were talking about OAPs at first, given that we were both there over 20 years ago, and can vouch that the student economy was firmly entrenched back then.
You remember that thick fucking teenager who gave you grief?

Yeah, them.
By Yug
Oh dear
How sad
Never mind

The government has suffered defeats in the House of Lords over plans to scrap certain EU laws by the end of the year.

Peers backed an amendment which would give Parliament greater scrutiny over which rules should be ditched.

The House of Lords also voted to give devolved governments, rather than Westminster ministers, the final say on whether EU rights should be kept.

Once the Lords has finished debating the Retained EU Law Bill, it will return to the House of Commons...

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-65605035.amp
long long title how many chars? lets see 123 ok more? yes 60

We have created lots of YouTube videos just so you can achieve [...]

Another post test yes yes yes or no, maybe ni? :-/

The best flat phpBB theme around. Period. Fine craftmanship and [...]

Do you need a super MOD? Well here it is. chew on this

All you need is right here. Content tag, SEO, listing, Pizza and spaghetti [...]

Lasagna on me this time ok? I got plenty of cash

this should be fantastic. but what about links,images, bbcodes etc etc? [...]