:sunglasses: 25.8 % :pray: 14.5 % :laughing: 37.1 % 🧥 1.6 % :cry: 12.9 % :🤗 6.5 % :poo: 1.6 %
By mattomac
https://www.theguardian.com/technology/ ... bnb-guests

Love how they they threw in falling behind on rent as anti social behaviour, this isn’t going abused in anyway no way.

At least they are doing something about Air BnB’s in areas where housing stock is low?

Oh no wait not they are and if Geoff wasn’t a planted Question the Pope isn’t Catholic.
By Andy McDandy
Re. Miriam Cates, if a country with our population and apparent wealth cannot absorb, let's say 100,000 people per year, then that says something pretty damning about our infrastructure and tolerance (in the capacity to change sense...well actually in both senses).

Also, one could reduce her argument to "our supporters live in shitholes, which explains why they're cunts". Hardly your typical aspirational Tory outlook.
By Crabcakes
mattomac wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 7:37 pm Sunak's more popular than his party, but he is more popular with people who don't like his party and won't vote for them and at some point he won't be able to keep that up.
Sunak’s conundrum is the more hardcore he goes, the more he gets into the groups of people who won’t vote for him anyway because even though they like his policies they like having a brown man as PM even less.
By Watchman
Tubby Isaacs wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 10:43 pm Check out this torrent of absolute fake moralist horseshit.
Conservative MP Miriam Cates was heckled by some on the opposition benches as she argued: “Many of those who argue against strong borders and strong action against illegal immigration are not themselves personally affected by illegal immigration.

“Their wages are not threatened by the black market economy, they don’t rely on essential local resources that are taken up with housing migrants, their children are not sent to school with young men who are clearly not children, and their sense of agency and national identity does not rest on the integrity of our borders or the sovereignty of our Parliament.

“For those whose lives and culture are not negatively impacted by thousands of people arriving here on small boats it makes sense to argue for open borders in the name of compassion.

“For many of my constituents, these are luxury beliefs and the reality is that high and clearly visible levels of illegal immigration are a threat to ordinary people’s safety, security, identity and sense of fair play.

“Believing in and upholding strong borders and firm boundaries is not uncompassionate or bigoted. It is a pre-requisite for a fair, safe and cohesive nation.

“Ultimately when boundaries are not upheld or laws are not unenforced, it’s always the vulnerable that suffer as criminals exploit loopholes and drain much-needed finite resources away from those in genuine need.”
Who's suggesting not enforcing borders or not enforcing laws? Who's supporting illegal working? Whose "culture" is affected, what does that even mean? Most of us don't support "open borders". We just want to do what we used to- evaluate claims properly.

Whatever the cost of all this is, much of it down to government inefficiency, it's surely dwarfed by Brexit, Osbornomics and all the rest of it. Why were those not "luxury beliefs"?
First 2 paragraphs, I thought she was talking about members of the cabinet
By Youngian
Crabcakes wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 7:59 am
mattomac wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 7:37 pm Sunak's more popular than his party, but he is more popular with people who don't like his party and won't vote for them and at some point he won't be able to keep that up.
Sunak’s conundrum is the more hardcore he goes, the more he gets into the groups of people who won’t vote for him anyway because even though they like his policies they like having a brown man as PM even less.

Another problem is the voters who’ve only just discovered Johnson is a wrong un, think Sunak is a sensible compentent moderate sort of chap. He’s nothing of the sort. Doesn’t take much to convince Tories to vote even after they’ve poured sick over their head.
His goose is cooked’: Even true-blue Wokingham voters think Boris Johnson’s time is up
“Wokingham fits into the mould of being home to the people who the Tories lost in 2017 and 2019 – well-educated, upper middle class, remain-oriented voters,” said Robert Hayward, the Tory peer and longstanding polling expert, who believes there are early signs of progress for Sunak in such places. “It appears that the people who are coming back because of Rishi are in that category. Essentially, the traditional blue Conservative seats of the home counties.”
It isn’t hard to find voters who fall into that category. “At least things are starting to settle down now,” said Jane Stevenson, working in a cake van in the market with her daughter, Alex. “There was just so much controversy – and the stuff that has happened [with Johnson over Partygate], that leaves a bad taste in the mouth because they were setting the rules. I’ve always voted Conservative. He’s not doing too badly, Rishi. I don’t particularly want to vote Labour. Starmer’s on the fence too much.” https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... dApp_Other
By soulboy
Crabcakes wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 7:58 am I for one am looking forward to this voter ID thing being rapidly revoked after leagues of Tory-voting pensioners turn up without ID, or the wrong sort, or the right sort but out of date etc. and complain bitterly about how much bother it is.
I look forward to them turning up bright and early, clutching their bus pass, and being told it wasn't valid before 0930.
Watchman, Tubby Isaacs, kreuzberger and 3 others liked this
By Yug
Have we had these two yet? I'm losing track

Two Conservative MPs representing Black Country constituencies have said they will step down at the next election.

Stuart Anderson, MP for Wolverhampton South West, said threats against his family had influenced his decision.

Nicola Richards, who represents West Bromwich East, cited a "change in [her] domestic circumstances".

Both Ms Richards and Mr Anderson were elected in 2019, taking the previous Labour strongholds for the Tories after Boris Johnson's landslide election win...

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-bir ... 097041.amp
By Crabcakes
That Tory solution to obscene house prices and even more obscene rent is so on brand - do nothing about the real problem, but instead chuck a small amount at people and watch as prices go up to more than absorb it - it’s almost hilarious.

Still, the article is notable for one other thing - this very subtle dig at one M. Gove
One way to improve their circumstances simply to make conditions in the private rented sector a lot better. That is something which Michael Gove is trying to tackle with his typical energy.
That energy being ‘typical’ of when he comes back from the bogs wiping his nose, you mean…
By Watchman
Tubby Isaacs wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 2:33 pm Another one, though age would explain this one.

Interesting some of the quotes as to why they are standing down
Nicola Richards, elected 2019, aged 28: ‘Due to changes in my domestic circumstances, I will not be seeking election.’
Stuart Anderson, elected 2019, aged 46: ‘I have made the decision not to seek renomination as the prospective parliamentary candidate for the Conservative party in Wolverhampton South West… due to personal family reasons.’
Being a salacious sort, I wonder if there's a link between these 2, constituencies not a million miles apart

I was surprised to see some of the ages, never realised Ben Bradshaw was that old

I like Henderson's quote about leaving school at 16........."If you work hard enough lad, you could become an MP one day"
long long title how many chars? lets see 123 ok more? yes 60

We have created lots of YouTube videos just so you can achieve [...]

Another post test yes yes yes or no, maybe ni? :-/

The best flat phpBB theme around. Period. Fine craftmanship and [...]

Do you need a super MOD? Well here it is. chew on this

All you need is right here. Content tag, SEO, listing, Pizza and spaghetti [...]

Lasagna on me this time ok? I got plenty of cash

this should be fantastic. but what about links,images, bbcodes etc etc? [...]