:sunglasses: 50 % :pray: 6.3 % :laughing: 34.4 % :cry: 3.1 % :poo: 6.3 %
By Tubby Isaacs
I think that's something the NEC have to factor in when they exclude popular local candidates really. Some Stop the War type excluded isn't going to bother too many people. But that doesn't seem to be true of the excluded candidate here. And Broxtowe Labour seem like outward looking people who do community stuff, not at all the stereotype of people who pass a hundred motions on Cuba or whatever.

I'm an entirely for quality control, but this seems too much.
By kreuzberger
On the fence and really not a good look; part 1933.
Yvette Cooper has said that she disagrees with Lineker's comments, but adds that he was entitled to "speak out".

Am I reading this wrongly? You're allowed to dig up the hamster-faced fascist for going full-Nürnberg even though you are incorrect in doing so.

What? Eh? Sitting on the fence in the face of political malice is not opting out, any more than indifference might be valid a valid position when real people and real lives are now on the line. Is that Ming vase Nazi loot?
By Abernathy
I think Yvette got it wrong there. Lineker was absolutely correct to compare Braverman’s chosen language to that sadly in use in 1930s Germany, but she, or Labour’s front bench team collectively, has clearly decided that it would be circumspect not to sympathise completely with Garys observation, presumably because it may provide the fascist hamster, et al, with some ammunition to attack Labour. But really, I think the risk of that is minimal, as they will undoubtedly do it anyway. I’d have put the boot in and backed our Gazza to the hilt (oo-err).
Dalem Lake liked this
By Youngian
Even before Starmer was LOTO he looked a fireproof contender and it was easy to predict where the Tories would go if he replaced Corbyn; Find a Willie Horton* type character the DPP had insufficient evidence to prosecute under Starmer’s watch. Or Starmer the do-gooder human rights lawyer who sides with foreign courts and illegal migrants over the British people.
But this is a shit show the Tories are responsible for and remind people every day, so I understand last thing Keir wants to do is to give the Tories ground and make it about him.

* See Bush-Dukakis campaign. If armchair pundits can see that one coming I’m damn sure Keir can.
By Tubby Isaacs
I think it’s generally better to avoid comparisons to Nazi Germany, but Lineker did say the language specifically. I can see why Cooper doesn’t want to be stuck with “Labour are calling you Nazis because you want to stop the boats” seeing that most people do indeed want the boats stopped.

I think it’s best they keep the focus on the government but it’s less than ideal. Corbynites will be talking about throwing people under the bus, and have a point. Then again Starmer didn’t fly across the world to give Assad a photo op.
By mattomac
For a party coming out of special measures for AS probably wise not to allow the Tories the ability to use that on this one.

It’s one of those rows you just interject occasionally, the focus on the apparent further action after Conservative MPs and Media started to push is a wise one.
Oboogie liked this
By Oboogie
RedSparrows wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 11:12 pm Yeah Labour shouldn't hedge this shit. They won't win over the fuckwits and the Tories will call them soft whatever they do.
Corbyn's legacy effectively silences Labour on this. Any support for Lineker who, according to the Tories, "called them Nazis" coming from the party which was recently found to be infested with anti-Semites is such an open goal for the Tories, even Baverman would struggle to hoof it over the bar.
mattomac liked this
By Watchman
I know Soulsby (Sir Peter, Mayor) can be a bit of a twat, and the city needs a shake up, but this does seem a bit heavy handed

Labour tells 19 Leicester councillors they cannot stand in May election
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... SApp_Other
Dalem Lake liked this
By Malcolm Armsteen
Being a member of the party 'for decades' doesn't give you veinites on being a disloyal tosser.
The Weeping Angel liked this
By Dalem Lake
Watchman wrote:I know Soulsby (Sir Peter, Mayor) can be a bit of a twat, and the city needs a shake up, but this does seem a bit heavy handed

Labour tells 19 Leicester councillors they cannot stand in May election
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... SApp_Other
It does a bit. I did a bit of searching because the Guardian article was quite light on details but it seems that a vote about getting rid of the post of elected mayor kicked it all off. Apart from that I can't really find anything bad enough by the councillors to get the boot from London with no chance of appeal. Also Labour just saying they "had concerns with the selection process" just leaves a massive question mark over the whole thing. Stinky.
By Youngian
mattomac wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 11:57 pm Labour can ethier get its ship in order or spend another decade or two out of power.

The last council selection in this area was that utter fuckwit, it comes across as an area that should be under special measures.

I don’t care anymore.
Gives Owen Jones something to get excited about but yes, who has any time for this internal bollocks when the Tories could be on the verge of collapse?
By Yug
These two

Two Leicester councillors have defected to the Conservative Party after being deselected by Labour.

Paul Westley and Hemant Rae Bhatia will stand for the Tories in the Beaumont Leys ward at the upcoming local elections on 4 May, running against new Labour candidates.

It comes as 19 sitting councillors were told by Labour they would not be able to defend their seat.

The Labour Party has been contacted for comment.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-lei ... 070967.amp
Mr Westley, a Labour councillor since 1995, said he could no longer serve for a party which "doesn't listen to local people".

"I don't feel my opinions have changed too much over the past 28 years but the Labour Party that I was a part of back then is very different to the Labour Party of today," he said.

"The party I am joining will put local people first."
Mr Bhatia added: "The Labour Party in Leicester is broken, as a city we need change and that's why I am joining the party which truly represents local people and is fighting for local issues, giving local people a genuine voice."
The Tories are the Party to listen to local people? What deluded twaddle is this?

If they can switch allegiance so quickly, to reject Labour values and embrace the polar opposite, I reckon they never really were Labour in the first place.
By The Weeping Angel
Cross posted from the Climate Change thread

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... s-projects
Labour has confirmed it will block all new domestic oil and gas developments if it wins power, proposing instead to invest heavily in renewable sources such as wind and also in nuclear power.

The shadow work and pensions secretary, Jonathan Ashworth, said details would be announced soon.

“What we’ll be doing in the coming weeks is outlining how we want to invest in the green jobs of the future, to bring bills down, to create a more sustainable energy supply,” he told Sky’s Sophy Ridge on Sunday show.

“We’ll be outlining that in a significant mission in the coming weeks, and we’ll be announcing more details then.
By Tubby Isaacs
"Rising star" is always a bad sign, especially in local government.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/202 ... -evictions
Darren Rodwell, the leader of Barking and Dagenham council, made the threat as the east London authority urged parents to keep closer tabs on their children ahead of the summer holidays amid fears of rising knife violence.

“If your child is involved in an incident and knows who the perpetrators are, and refuses to speak out, we will look at reviewing your housing agreement,” Rodwell said. “Everyone must play their part in stopping these crimes. As parents, it is up to us to know where our children are, and that we play an active role.”
While lots of young lives are wasted by knife crime, that's not the same thing as "children" carrying them out. And even if it were, how do you make sure you know where they are at all times, when the government wants you to be out working? And to take the most flagrant possible case of a kid coming home with blood and saying "Mum, hide the knife for me", how are you going to get the Mum to admit to it if she and her other kids are going to be evicted? And how do you prove she wasn't terrified by her son (who after all, has just come home after killing someone)?
long long title how many chars? lets see 123 ok more? yes 60

We have created lots of YouTube videos just so you can achieve [...]

Another post test yes yes yes or no, maybe ni? :-/

The best flat phpBB theme around. Period. Fine craftmanship and [...]

Do you need a super MOD? Well here it is. chew on this

All you need is right here. Content tag, SEO, listing, Pizza and spaghetti [...]

Lasagna on me this time ok? I got plenty of cash

this should be fantastic. but what about links,images, bbcodes etc etc? [...]