:sunglasses: 57.1 % :pray: 4.8 % :laughing: 28.6 % :poo: 9.5 %
By Tubby Isaacs
I was looking at the cost of nationalising water the other day. Hard to get figures that aren't from water lobbyists, but I found Team Jez's estimate £14.7bn.

This seems a bit implausible given that the debts/liabilities (not sure which) of the water companies are £56bn. How do you get around repaying that? The state owning it would doubtless reduce a lot of the costs and make a fair biit of sense, but it's not £14.7bn. On balance, I'll go for tougher regulation and spending the money on the climate emergency.
Abernathy liked this
By Arrowhead
Corbyn displaying the type of political acumen which saw his movement relinquish total control of almost every level of the Labour Party to being reduced to embarrassing irrelevancies within the space of a few short months back in 2020.

I hate to say this, but I think we're rapidly reaching the point where Starmer is going to have to address this directly by issuing some sort of public apology for the entire Corbyn era. Otherwise there is a real danger that "Tried to make Corbyn PM" will start to gain actual traction with voters as we approach the next GE.
The Weeping Angel liked this
By Malcolm Armsteen
It's not a difficult moral position.

Until the tanks come across your border...
By Abernathy
Arrowhead wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 9:44 pm I hate to say this, but I think we're rapidly reaching the point where Starmer is going to have to address this directly by issuing some sort of public apology for the entire Corbyn era. Otherwise there is a real danger that "Tried to make Corbyn PM" will start to gain actual traction with voters as we approach the next GE.
I don't think that'll be necessary (or desirable, BTW). The Corbyn shroud-waving by Sunak, etc is sheer desperation(they have virtually nothing else). Starmer simply needs to point out that he was no different from any other Labour Party member in working hard to to try to get a Labour government elected - no matter who the leader happened to be. Yes, even me. Starmer was also bound by collective reponsibility as a shadow cabinet member. In short, aside from a few easily duped diehard Tories, it doesn't really wash.
Last edited by Abernathy on Sun Feb 26, 2023 12:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
mattomac liked this
By davidjay
Abernathy wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 11:38 pm
Arrowhead wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 9:44 pm I hate to say this, but I think we're rapidly reaching the point where Starmer is going to have to address this directly by issuing some sort of public apology for the entire Corbyn era. Otherwise there is a real danger that "Tried to make Corbyn PM" will start to gain actual traction with voters as we approach the next GE.
I don't think that'll be necessary. The Corbyn shroud-waving by Sunak, etc is sheer desperation(they have virtually nothing else). Starmer simply needs to point out that he was no different from any other Labour Party member in working hard to to try to get a Labour government elected - no matter who the leader happened to be. Yes, even me. Starmer was also bound by collective reponsibility as a shadow cabinet member. In short, aside from a few easily duped diehard Tories, it doesn't really wash.
The sort of people who use this line would still be parroting "Vote Starmer - get Corbyn" if Starmer proposed making it illegal to be Corbyn.
By Malcolm Armsteen
Loyalty and cabinet responsibility (and Chatham House rules) means nothing to them.
By Yug
The Putin stooge SpEkEs his bRaNeS

Magic Grandpa wrote: “Pouring arms in isn’t going to bring about a solution; it’s only going to prolong and exaggerate this war,” Corbyn said in an interview with a Beirut-based TV channel last August. “We might be in for years and years of war in Ukraine.”

He added: “What I find disappointing is that hardly any of the world’s leaders use the word peace; they always use the language of more war, and more bellicose war.

“This war is disastrous for the people of Ukraine...
It may turn out disastrous for Ukraine. Who knows what the future holds? What will be disastrous for Ukraine is letting Russia roll in and take over without a fight. Ukraine is a sovereign nation called Ukraine, not a province of Russia.

Why won't Corbyn just come out with it and admit he's on Putin's side?

And the word he's looking for is "exacerbate", not "exaggerate". And him with a private school education too. :roll:
long long title how many chars? lets see 123 ok more? yes 60

We have created lots of YouTube videos just so you can achieve [...]

Another post test yes yes yes or no, maybe ni? :-/

The best flat phpBB theme around. Period. Fine craftmanship and [...]

Do you need a super MOD? Well here it is. chew on this

All you need is right here. Content tag, SEO, listing, Pizza and spaghetti [...]

Lasagna on me this time ok? I got plenty of cash

this should be fantastic. but what about links,images, bbcodes etc etc? [...]