:sunglasses: 25.8 % :pray: 14.5 % :laughing: 37.1 % 🧥 1.6 % :cry: 12.9 % :🤗 6.5 % :poo: 1.6 %
By Yug
One of those who switched to a safe seat in 1997 decides being a Tory is no longer a guarantee of income from the public purse.

Sir Paul Beresford will not stand again as an MP, citing "midnight sittings" and "a diary built around the whims of the whips' office" as reasons for retiring.

Sir Paul, 76 has been Conservative MP for Mole Valley since 1997.

He said in an email he would not stand again in the new constituency of Dorking and Horley.

He was previously MP for Croydon Central from 1992 before moving to Surrey ahead of the 1997 election...

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-surrey-64648726.amp
Though at 76 he's ripe for retirement anyway.

How many is that now? I've lost count.
By Yug
One of our laptop chargers has died, and as "Authorised Requestor" is one of my many hats, it fell to me to order a new one. After much faffing about I finally found what I was looking for in the Defence Digital catalogue. Just out of interest I looked for these things on the internet. Ignoring the official Hewlett Packard store, I found they are available for between £29.50 and £29.99 + postage. Defence Digital are charging a few pence over £76! Two and a half times the going rate.

What does this have to do with the Tories? The company behind Defence Digital got the contract after being approved by senior members of the CONservative Party. If they were confronted with this (and countless other examples) they'd blame the Civil Servants who are supposed to be monitoring these contracts, while conveniently forgetting to mention those particular CS have had their numbers drastically reduced since 2015 at least.

Hmmm. Someone's having a good cost of living crisis, and it ain't the taxpayers who have to foot this inflated bill.
By Crabcakes
Very similar things happen in the NHS. My offshoot bit of it is loathed by some drug companies because of a double whammy effect: not only do we successfully negotiate huge discounts, we also actively prevent the *insane* markup that the same companies could get for the same drug under the US system where negotiations are per hospital and so buying power is drastically reduced.

The Covid contracts were not run via us, and given the eye-watering sums that are now powering the luxury yachts of the friends and relatives of those who got day-old companies into the VIP lane ahead of established firms, you can probably work out why…
By Tubby Isaacs
Yug wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 5:50 am One of those who switched to a safe seat in 1997 decides being a Tory is no longer a guarantee of income from the public purse.
Yeah, he was in Croydon before. Wiki says Croydon lost a seat in 1997, but a seat with the same name as his survived the chop and the former MP for another Croydon seat fought it.

Sounds like he didn't fancy it. Given the extra 27 years he'll have got out of that decision, hard to say he was wrong.

I make it 21 retirements.
By Malcolm Armsteen
The Turnip Taliban seem to be flexing their muscles on behalf of Johnson.

Damien Green, relatively centrist and a Johnson critic, has been effectively deselected by his local headbangers, presumably because he didn't suck Johnson's cock hard enough.

https://news.sky.com/story/senior-tory- ... n-12815320

This is how the Tories are going, and it's how Labour would have gone if Starmer hadn't put Corbyn out with the rubbish. They are confusing their members with the electorate. I predict it won't end well with them.
Oboogie, Arrowhead liked this
By mattomac
Youngian wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 9:18 am Everything the Tories are in charge of helps the Labour Party. Penny has the charm of concrete and just as dense
Remember that performance where she denied that Truss was hiding under a table and was a bit sarcastic.

And twitter went yeah make her leader.
long long title how many chars? lets see 123 ok more? yes 60

We have created lots of YouTube videos just so you can achieve [...]

Another post test yes yes yes or no, maybe ni? :-/

The best flat phpBB theme around. Period. Fine craftmanship and [...]

Do you need a super MOD? Well here it is. chew on this

All you need is right here. Content tag, SEO, listing, Pizza and spaghetti [...]

Lasagna on me this time ok? I got plenty of cash

this should be fantastic. but what about links,images, bbcodes etc etc? [...]