:sunglasses: 25.8 % :pray: 14.5 % :laughing: 37.1 % 🧥 1.6 % :cry: 12.9 % :🤗 6.5 % :poo: 1.6 %
By Samanfur
It was the Johnson sentiment that really worried me.

Sunak, as I've said before, used to concern me. He's my age, and you can hear Tony Blair's speech patterns when he speaks, which tells you when he cut his teeth.

I used to think that this gave him a vaguely personable air that might lead people to not look closely at what he stands for, and a probable ability to pick your pocket and get you to thank him as he did it.

But that was before the details of his financial arrangements got out. I'm not sure any more.
By Crabcakes
I think Johnson coming back would be the most insane choice the utterly terrible Tory membership could make. Which is why I can see they’d want to take it.

As it is, this is like the death throes of the T-1000 in Terminator 2 - frantically and fruitlessly thrashing about, changing faces over and over again while in the process of being burned away to nothingness.
Arrowhead, Oboogie liked this
By Arrowhead
Crabcakes wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 3:06 pm As it is, this is like the death throes of the T-1000 in Terminator 2 - frantically and fruitlessly thrashing about, changing faces over and over again while in the process of being burned away to nothingness.
Sticking with the Terminator analogies, I always remember an especially well observed, cautionary post on the old forum from our very own @Youngian : namely, the Tories are like the liquid Terminator i.e. they always eventually regather & come back to terrorise us.
By Bones McCoy
Crabcakes wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 3:06 pm I think Johnson coming back would be the most insane choice the utterly terrible Tory membership could make. Which is why I can see they’d want to take it.

As it is, this is like the death throes of the T-1000 in Terminator 2 - frantically and fruitlessly thrashing about, changing faces over and over again while in the process of being burned away to nothingness.
They don't have any good choices.
By Youngian
Bones McCoy wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 5:23 pm
Crabcakes wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 3:06 pm I think Johnson coming back would be the most insane choice the utterly terrible Tory membership could make. Which is why I can see they’d want to take it.

They don't have any good choices.
Yeh do that
Arrowhead liked this
By Youngian
Prescient article from the National Archives about how refugees in boats bought out Thatcher’s Powellite instincts but couldn’t back up her prejudices with any workable solution. Wiser heads in the party presented a way out with enough compromises for Thatcher to concede and let in the refugees. At least she was more interested in solutions than pandering to tabloids who have none. And had ministers who could bring them.
Margaret Thatcher initially refused to give 10,000 Vietnamese boat people refuge in Britain, privately warning her ministers that there would be riots on the streets if they were given council housing, Downing Street papers reveal. https://amp.theguardian.com/uk/2009/dec ... oat-people
By Bones McCoy
Youngian wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 11:34 am Prescient article from the National Archives about how refugees in boats bought out Thatcher’s Powellite instincts but couldn’t back up her prejudices with any workable solution. Wiser heads in the party presented a way out with enough compromises for Thatcher to concede and let in the refugees. At least she was more interested in solutions than pandering to tabloids who have none. And had ministers who could bring them.
Margaret Thatcher initially refused to give 10,000 Vietnamese boat people refuge in Britain, privately warning her ministers that there would be riots on the streets if they were given council housing, Downing Street papers reveal. https://amp.theguardian.com/uk/2009/dec ... oat-people
So Thatcher's solution was to abolish council housing?
By Samanfur
Oboogie wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 12:02 pm James O'Brien says that Graham Brady has just walked into Downing Street. Unscheduled.

Edit: https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/ ... s-28284355
The party chairman was in there, as well.
long long title how many chars? lets see 123 ok more? yes 60

We have created lots of YouTube videos just so you can achieve [...]

Another post test yes yes yes or no, maybe ni? :-/

The best flat phpBB theme around. Period. Fine craftmanship and [...]

Do you need a super MOD? Well here it is. chew on this

All you need is right here. Content tag, SEO, listing, Pizza and spaghetti [...]

Lasagna on me this time ok? I got plenty of cash

this should be fantastic. but what about links,images, bbcodes etc etc? [...]