:sunglasses: 40.6 % :pray: 8.5 % :laughing: 30.2 % 🧥 4.7 % :cry: 12.3 % :🤗 3.8 %
More jam tomorrow crap. Where are housing associations going to.get the capital - and land - to build these new houses? How are people with limited resources going to pay for their homes? Is this just a way for private landlords to snatch up association housing and add to the rental market?
Had a read of his speech. Little concrete stuff, many promises of help in a few months time, much boasting. And a hell of a lot of "we want", and not much "we will".
Andy McDandy wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 6:07 pm More jam tomorrow crap. Where are housing associations going to.get the capital - and land - to build these new houses? How are people with limited resources going to pay for their homes? Is this just a way for private landlords to snatch up association housing and add to the rental market?
I can answer one of those questions, if that's any good to you.
Last edited by davidjay on Thu Jun 09, 2022 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Andy McDandy wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 6:07 pm More jam tomorrow crap. Where are housing associations going to.get the capital - and land - to build these new houses? How are people with limited resources going to pay for their homes? Is this just a way for private landlords to snatch up association housing and add to the rental market?
Of course, Landlords are now an essential part of the Tory base.
I don't think landlords are a significant part of the Tory base. If they were, Osborne wouldn't have phased out mortgage interest relief for landlords.

What matters is house prices as a whole. As I always say, they learned from the Major era. Make sure that a Tory government never lets house prices stagnate ever again.
By Boiler
satnav wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 5:25 pm Apparently the average month mortgage payment today is £753 a month. I don't think anybody on universal credit has got a spare £700 a month to put towards a mortgage.
How on Earth do people afford houses once you get into the capital, or is it merely money from inheritances and the like? Someone I knew sold his semi in Teddington for £1.6 million as a cash purchase - okay, not first time buyer territory I know but that would have bought eleven of my late great-aunt's house which sold a month or so ago.
Of course, just what a brilliant idea doling out sub-prime mortgages to people that couldn’t afford them was demonstrated amply well in 2008. Did someone say global financial crisis ?
By Boiler
Abernathy wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 10:37 pm Of course, just what a brilliant idea doling out sub-prime mortgages to people that couldn’t afford them was demonstrated amply well in 2008. Did someone say global financial crisis ?
Yebbut Gordon Brown sold all the gold in 2008 and single-handedly caused the crisis or summat... :roll:

What's next? Unguarded chainsaws for toddlers?
As has been pointed out elsewhere, the whole idea is absolute bullshit and is unworkable - you can’t buy a house on benefits because you don’t get benefits if you have the level of savings you would need for a deposit.

Next week I suspect there’ll be some electric car wheeze because of record petrol prices, which also won’t actually work.
Nigredo liked this
By Boiler
Crabcakes wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 11:52 am Next week I suspect there’ll be some electric car wheeze because of record petrol prices, which also won’t actually work.
As I have seen elsewhere on a number of YT videos, electric cars are great if every charger in the land is
  • compatible
  • available
  • working
Because more often than not, they aren't. And the still-small volume of domestic EV users don't really matter.

I wonder how much a domestic 3-phase installation costs?
He's made some noises about crises being catalysts for innovation, but no mention of any practical help. Just grin and bear it, and if you got through, it couldn't have been all that bad.
Boiler wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 6:42 am
Abernathy wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 10:37 pm Of course, just what a brilliant idea doling out sub-prime mortgages to people that couldn’t afford them was demonstrated amply well in 2008. Did someone say global financial crisis ?
Yebbut Gordon Brown sold all the gold in 2008 and single-handedly caused the crisis or summat... :roll:

What's next? Unguarded chainsaws for toddlers?
Chainsaw guards are more EU red tape - as any fule kno!
Andy McDandy wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 1:05 pm He's made some noises about crises being catalysts for innovation, but no mention of any practical help. Just grin and bear it, and if you got through, it couldn't have been all that bad.
They’ll be pitching this as a plus next - “Boris has been the biggest catalyst for innovation this country has seen in years*”

*innovations include: learning to survive on 1 meal a day, living through winter without turning on your heating, and how to legally attend an illegal gathering
Crabcakes wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 11:52 am As has been pointed out elsewhere, the whole idea is absolute bullshit and is unworkable - you can’t buy a house on benefits because you don’t get benefits if you have the level of savings you would need for a deposit.

Next week I suspect there’ll be some electric car wheeze because of record petrol prices, which also won’t actually work.
In Spoonyland about a year ago, you might have been able in theory to put a deposit down on either a flat or a small semi-detached at a 10% deposit (15% at a big push) if you had enough in savings not to tip you over the £16k threshold. I say in theory, of course because what bank with any half-decent reputation would offer a mortgage to someone whom is either long-term unemployed or is deemed unfit for work? Today it's still possible in theory for, I'd guess, for many former Housing Executive properties or a small house in some places, but I'd be amazed at anyone that could secure it whilst surviving on benefits in the long term.

Truth be told, it's a cunning dead cat announcement because not only is it utterly impractical to implement even if you force banks at gunpoint to offer such mortgages, it also preys on "divide and conquer" by getting those whom are in work but on below national-average wages where the aspiration of home ownership is bleak to give off about "those sitting on their hole etc." being given the chance to get on to the housing market. It also keeps the property developer chums of high-up Tories onside.
long long title how many chars? lets see 123 ok more? yes 60

We have created lots of YouTube videos just so you can achieve [...]

Another post test yes yes yes or no, maybe ni? :-/

The best flat phpBB theme around. Period. Fine craftmanship and [...]

Do you need a super MOD? Well here it is. chew on this

All you need is right here. Content tag, SEO, listing, Pizza and spaghetti [...]

Lasagna on me this time ok? I got plenty of cash

this should be fantastic. but what about links,images, bbcodes etc etc? [...]