:sunglasses: 40.6 % :pray: 8.5 % :laughing: 30.2 % 🧥 4.7 % :cry: 12.3 % :🤗 3.8 %
I think the real fear is one not stated here - a Labour/SNP coalition still looks like the most likely option, and as well as another referendum on Scotland, there will be another price - lowering the voting age to 16. That's what's scaring the shit out of the Tories.

For one, how to campaign against it? If someone's legally old enough to pay tax, marry, give birth, and die in a war for their country, shouldn't they deserve a vote? Also, how will it look after years of whinging about the lack of social engagement from our young people, they're suddenly being told to stay at home and not give a shit? Lowering the voting age will a) kill off the Tories, and b) realign political priorities across the UK.
Boiler, Watchman, Samanfur and 4 others liked this
Boiler wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 1:08 am Image

"Coalition of chaos" ?

Has Dacre been on the ether?
I must admit I did expect Darce to go full Pyongyang and lead with “Enemies of the Party”
In the cold light of day, ultimately nothing will change. He won't do the honourable and decent thing because he has no honesty and decency. He won't be handed the pearl-handled revolver because there's no-one left to hand it to him. There won't be any movement to moderate the party because the moderating faction were forced out. He won't try to unite the party because he has no concept of conciliation. And he won't change his policies because the 148 will still vote for them.
Boiler liked this
By Boiler
davidjay wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 12:43 pm In the cold light of day, ultimately nothing will change. He won't do the honourable and decent thing because he has no honesty and decency. He won't be handed the pearl-handled revolver because there's no-one left to hand it to him. There won't be any movement to moderate the party because the moderating faction were forced out. He won't try to unite the party because he has no concept of conciliation. And he won't change his policies because the 148 will still vote for them.
Unfortunately, this is searingly accurate. The Left can jump up and down in noisy and impotent rage but all that will do is make Conservative supporters dig in further: it will change nothing. He still has a sizeable majority in the Commons, the Wakefield and Tiverton by-election results will change nothing. The VoNC will now be framed as another waste of time "stopping us from getting on with the job".

All it needs now is for Starmer and Rayner to be handed FPNs and resign, which Tories will laugh at them for doing so.

Johnson's in for the long haul.
The idea it’ll be business as usual for a leader with 75% of his backbenchers wanting him gone, is a ludicrous proposition. Its countdown to the destruction of his party. If over 140 MPs know Johnson is the reason they’ll lose their job, he has no authority.
Oboogie liked this
Boiler wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 1:08 am Image

"Coalition of chaos" ?

Has Dacre been on the ether?
He can only work with what he’s got. Johnson will ramp up his war leader persona and the only mud he can sling at Starmer is constantly blather about how he used to be in Corbyn’s shadow cabinet. Bozo will just sound weird
Oboogie liked this
Boiler wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 5:23 pm And there it is.

Time to draw a line under Partygate, Boris Johnson tells cabinet

You may want to Mush, but hopefully most of the population will neither let you forget this and likewise, will not forget this come the election.
No contrition or any attempt to restore public trust. He’s planning to keep his head down until the circus leaves town. But every week there’s a self inflicted tragi-drama or balls up.
Hoyle reminds me of Judge Lance Ito, who some of you might remember as presiding over the OJ Simpson trial, and who spent most of that episode apparently going "Wow, I'm on TV!".
Nigredo wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 2:31 pm PMQs it's usual unedifying palaver under the pork haystack.
I wonder if having to sit behind Johnson's appalling performances week in week out has been a big contributor to the discontent? PMQs is by far the most visible part of Parliament.
There is an issue with working people trapped in rent land and unable to build up the credit to get a mortgage, but to fix that (and there are quick and easy solutions) would endanger his landlord pals' profits.
Spoonman liked this
By satnav
Judging by many of the comments I've seen on Twitter underneath the Mail article on this policy most Mailites are not happy that we are now buying houses for people who have never worked.

Elsewhere on Twitter many people have pointed out that if you have £16,000 in savings you don't qualify for Universal benefit. If you don't have around £16,000 it is unlikely that you will be able to put down a deposit on a property.

In the late 80's when I worked at the Citizen's Advice Bureaux it was still possible to get help with your mortgage if you were unemployed but the benefit system only paid interest on the mortgage and they only paid for 6 months, the idea was that in 6 months people had the opportunity to either get a new job or sell their home. Back in the 80's the average mortgage was considerably smaller than the average mortgage today.

Apparently the average month mortgage payment today is £753 a month. I don't think anybody on universal credit has got a spare £700 a month to put towards a mortgage.
Arrowhead liked this
Johnson is now talking about right to buy.

The number of tenants using this freedom has diminished, he says.

So now is the time to expand it. He wants to deliver on the longstanding promise to extend the right to buy to housing associations, he says.

He says there are 1.6m households in council houses, but 2.5m households in housing association homes.

The government will work with the sector on a plan to achieve this, he says. He says there will be one for one replacement.
That last bit- that looks like a "forgot the rest of the trick" waiting to happen.
long long title how many chars? lets see 123 ok more? yes 60

We have created lots of YouTube videos just so you can achieve [...]

Another post test yes yes yes or no, maybe ni? :-/

The best flat phpBB theme around. Period. Fine craftmanship and [...]

Do you need a super MOD? Well here it is. chew on this

All you need is right here. Content tag, SEO, listing, Pizza and spaghetti [...]

Lasagna on me this time ok? I got plenty of cash

this should be fantastic. but what about links,images, bbcodes etc etc? [...]