:sunglasses: 40.6 % :pray: 8.5 % :laughing: 30.2 % 🧥 4.7 % :cry: 12.3 % :🤗 3.8 %
Boris Johnson changes ministerial code to avoid need to resign over breaches
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... SApp_Other

Rules are still for little people
By Boiler
From that article:

A new version of the ministerial code has been published, suggesting that in future ministers are likely to face making a “public apology, remedial action, or removal of ministerial salary for a period” if they retain the confidence of the prime minister.

One of the reasons for changing the rules is to “avoid incentives for trivial or vexatious complaints, which may be made for partisan reasons”, it says after a slew of complaints about ministers’ conduct from Labour and the Liberal Democrats.
Johnson has also rewritten the foreword to the code, removing all references to honesty, integrity, transparency and accountability.
Watchman wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 4:40 pm Boris Johnson changes ministerial code to avoid need to resign over breaches

This surely can't be permitted to stand?
Watchman wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 4:40 pm Boris Johnson changes ministerial code to avoid need to resign over breaches

Malcolm Armsteen wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 5:51 pm

Who has the authority to overrule him?
By Boiler
Oboogie wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 8:21 pm
Malcolm Armsteen wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 5:51 pm

Who has the authority to overrule him?
I believe the answer you are looking for is "no-one".

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes.
Dalem Lake liked this
Boiler wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 10:15 pm
davidjay wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 9:47 pm Does anyone really think we're on the road to a dictatorship? Seriously?
I don't think so.
I don't think Johnson will be the dictator.
What Johnson is doing is weakening our already porous protection against a dictator.

I fear what a government headed by Raab and Patel might consider acceptable governance.
* Death penalty certainly a thing.
* Opposition re-labelled as treason.
* Trades unions further suppressed.
* Freedom to change job or litigate against employers curtailed.
By Boiler
The curtailment of litigation against employers can already be carried out via whatever "Compromise Agreements" are called now, plus it has long been made very expensive to bring an employer before a ET.

But if what you mean is e.g. the reticence of Victorian railway owners to fit continuous brakes to trains in the belief that the driver will always act in an interest of self-preservation...
Boiler wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 10:07 am The curtailment of litigation against employers can already be carried out via whatever "Compromise Agreements" are called now, plus it has long been made very expensive to bring an employer before a ET.

But if what you mean is e.g. the reticence of Victorian railway owners to fit continuous brakes to trains in the belief that the driver will always act in an interest of self-preservation...
I know what the former one is. Will have to look into the latter.

My point was that the likes of Raab and Patel, would happily push the status quo to a point close to serfdom.
de Piffle is too lazy to be a dictator, the likes of the Britannia Unhinged mob are basically “beauracratic” dictators, here’s our populist agenda, but non of them has any idea how to actually manage it in the real world. If you take the”go to” dictator, Herr Hitler, he took the German people along with a messianic zeal, I’m not in any way saying he was right, just that he had a focus and those around him carried that through.
So when we speak of dictators in UK context, there is no real figurehead, it’s really those behind the scenes, the power, greed, manipulation, that are running things
The latest piece of mouldy cheese to be thrown to the mangy dogs of Brexit - Imperial measures.

Yes, for the Kwin's Jubbly we will revert to pounds, ounces, stones, quarters, grains, inches, rods, pol;es, perches and for all I know dried foreskins as weights and measures, without having to also use those filthy foreign grams. Th shore up Brexit with the gammonistas.

Probably a dead cat. A recycled dead cat (it was in the 2019 Manifestlies) and comes as news breaks that No 10 had early sight of Sue Gray's report and altered it...

Unless we only trade manufactured goods with the USA. Further separates us from Europe and the civilised world.
Malcolm Armsteen wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 10:45 pm Unless we only trade manufactured goods with the USA. Further separates us from Europe and the civilised world.
It's a lot more than litres and metres that separates us from civilisation these days.
Malcolm Armsteen, Oboogie, Watchman and 3 others liked this
As David Gauke has asked, just how many times will this dead cat be dragged out?
long long title how many chars? lets see 123 ok more? yes 60

We have created lots of YouTube videos just so you can achieve [...]

Another post test yes yes yes or no, maybe ni? :-/

The best flat phpBB theme around. Period. Fine craftmanship and [...]

Do you need a super MOD? Well here it is. chew on this

All you need is right here. Content tag, SEO, listing, Pizza and spaghetti [...]

Lasagna on me this time ok? I got plenty of cash

this should be fantastic. but what about links,images, bbcodes etc etc? [...]