:sunglasses: 40.6 % :pray: 8.5 % :laughing: 30.2 % 🧥 4.7 % :cry: 12.3 % :🤗 3.8 %
Dalem Lake wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 2:08 pm Depressing as it is to say, I don't think anything will really come of it. They'll just brush it off like they've brushed every other piece of shit thing they've done.

Happy to be proved wrong though.
Breaking laws you put in place is a bit more than next week’s chip paper.

If Sunak was a wiser man he’d resign from the job he’s about to get the push from. ‘I put my hands up, unlike some people.’ Its worth a try Rishi you have no other cards.
Oboogie liked this
Dalem Lake wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 2:08 pm Depressing as it is to say, I don't think anything will really come of it. They'll just brush it off like they've brushed every other piece of shit thing they've done.

I think nothing will come of it now. I think it will be held against them though in the long run - especially if they write it off as trivial. People are angry they didn’t stick to the rules as is. They’ll not suddenly become less angry if a fine is treated as an irrelevance.

Plus it puts Johnson and Sunak in a awkward place - they’d both be delighted to be rid of the other, but neither can use this fabulous ammunition because they’d be hoisted by their own petard.

Truss, however, could make a case for the whole of Downing St needing to be cleared out.
That said, let’s not gloss over the fact the PM of this country broke the laws he set while in office. He had a lovely time while others were unable to even grieve for dead relations.

This isn’t going away, no matter how many photos he spaffs out of him in Ukraine.
Oboogie liked this
Straight from the horse's arse:

I don't doubt he'll write himself a very, very strongly worded letter.

And try to take the excuse to get rid of Sunak, of course.

I wonder what sort of afternoon and evening Sir Graham Brady's having.
Oboogie liked this
By Boiler
Crabcakes wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 2:28 pm I think nothing will come of it now. I think it will be held against them though in the long run - especially if they write it off as trivial. People are angry they didn’t stick to the rules as is.
The defence may well be that the rest of the country broke the laws too - I know my neighbour and her children did, repeatedly.
Boiler wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 2:37 pm
Crabcakes wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 2:28 pm I think nothing will come of it now. I think it will be held against them though in the long run - especially if they write it off as trivial. People are angry they didn’t stick to the rules as is.
The defence may well be that the rest of the country broke the laws too - I know my neighbour and her children did, repeatedly.
“Other people did it” wouldn’t last 2 seconds in court, and if they go with that then they’ll just be digging themselves in deeper. He should - if anything - set an example even if others *do* break the law. Not set an example of how to break it.

It says a lot that Johnson’s best bet now is to make out he’s a complete fucking moron.
Oboogie, mattomac liked this
Samanfur wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 2:04 pm Starmer's already calling for their resignations.

I await Johnson's latest excuse for not releasing Sue Gray's report.
It's sorry state of affairs if the two most senior politicians in the country broke their own laws that they introduced, lied about it and don't resign.
Spoonman, Samanfur, Oboogie liked this
Boiler wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 2:37 pm
That’s not a legal defence but something a stroppy teenager would say after being fined at the magistrates.

If the Tories don’t want to remove Johnson then this episode will define who they and the Conservative party are, is Gavin Barwell’s take. Hope so.
Oboogie, Arrowhead liked this
Youngian wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 2:28 pm

If Sunak was a wiser man he’d resign from the job he’s about to get the push from. ‘I put my hands up, unlike some people.’ Its worth a try Rishi you have no other cards.
That's my way of thinking as well. Perversely, Sunak may well build up some political capital now if he does quit and Johnson doesn't as it shows he is taking responsibility. And especially considering how badly brand Rishi has been tarnished over the last week, he might take that option.
Samanfur, Oboogie liked this
Plus the "not the time to change PM during a time of international crisis" argument. Quite apart from the historical precedents of Asquith, Chamberlain, and Thatcher, do these people think that if say, Gove becomes PM, the first thing he's going to do is drop all the sanctions and withdraw support to Ukraine?
Samanfur, Nigredo, Abernathy and 2 others liked this
How come students got fined £10k for organising a party?
I worry that some will happily accept it under “the ledge” narrative, you know……. “ what a geezer”, “just like one of the lads”, “party on Boris”, type thing
Oboogie liked this
The All New KevS wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 3:39 pm
Youngian wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 2:28 pm

That's my way of thinking as well. Perversely, Sunak may well build up some political capital now if he does quit and Johnson doesn't as it shows he is taking responsibility. And especially considering how badly brand Rishi has been tarnished over the last week, he might take that option.

Surely it has to have at least crossed Sunak’s mind? The alternative is that Sunak and Johnson are now putting their heads together to try and develop a common response to the penalty notices and get their stories straight. Which somehow seems a bit unlikely.
Last edited by Abernathy on Tue Apr 12, 2022 4:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Oboogie liked this
long long title how many chars? lets see 123 ok more? yes 60

We have created lots of YouTube videos just so you can achieve [...]

Another post test yes yes yes or no, maybe ni? :-/

The best flat phpBB theme around. Period. Fine craftmanship and [...]

Do you need a super MOD? Well here it is. chew on this

All you need is right here. Content tag, SEO, listing, Pizza and spaghetti [...]

Lasagna on me this time ok? I got plenty of cash

this should be fantastic. but what about links,images, bbcodes etc etc? [...]