:sunglasses: 33.3 % 🧥 33.3 % :cry: 33.3 %
By Abernathy
Thought that maybe this dangerous fuckwit needed a thread of his own. I say dangerous, because he seems to wield a disproportionate influence, together with his half-witted colleagues such as Andrew "Same Haircut Since 1962" Bridgen, and Mark "Hateful Suet Pudding" Francois over the mainstream (I use the term advisedly) Conservative Party, and of course, the government of Johnson the Evil Clown.

La Toynbee's Grauniad piece today, though on the face of it concerned with the character of the broader Tory party of today, gives us a useful and telling insight into Baker's motivation :

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... 1639466301
This week Steve Baker MP relaunches Conservative Way Forward, founded to guard Margaret Thatcher’s flame. These idolaters ask themselves “What would Maggie do?” with as little historical sense as those who claim to know the answer to “What would Jesus do?” A prime saboteur, Baker is an agent in all the rightwing caucuses that riddle the Tory party. He chairs the Covid Recovery Group, which is stirring the plan B rebellion; he is a core member of the European Research Group (ERG); a member of the Global Warming Policy Foundation, a group of deniers blocking climate-saving action; and founder of the Cobden Centre, promoting hardline free-market economics. As a sky-diving, born-again Christian who was baptised in the sea, Baker also belongs to the Cornerstone group for family, faith and flag, and voted against same-sex marriage.
Note that he is the Full Monty right-wing Tory nutjob : Religious fanatic, homophobe, fervent Brexiter, climate-change sceptic, keeper of the flame of Thatcher. Harry Enfield would struggle convincingly to caricature him.

How do we neutralise dangerous individuals like Baker? Get the Tory government gone. As soon as fucking possible.
Spoonman, Oboogie, Malcolm Armsteen and 3 others liked this
By Andy McDandy
He would have problems getting into the party. Very much as Francis Urquhart put it, the sort who doorkeepers recognised and showed straight to the street.
mattomac liked this
By Bones McCoy
Andy McDandy wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 6:10 pm He would have problems getting into the party. Very much as Francis Urquhart put it, the sort who doorkeepers recognised and showed straight to the street.
The entire Johnson retinue date form the last days of the Federation of Conservative students.
The organisation that stress tested its membership with the Hang Nelson Mandela song.
So extreme that Norman Tebbitt disbanded the organisation and severed links with the conservative party.

The leading lights pissed off into politically adjacent work, thinktanks, lobbying and journalism.
They then slowly emerged form under their stones until they now fill the cabinet and the Westminster press lobby.

Outriders like Baker (and others) are even more toxic, and derive from the Steve Bannon tendency.
mattomac, Oboogie, Amazonian liked this
By Arrowhead
"What would Maggie do.........."

Well, I'm pretty sure she wouldn't have:

1) presided over such a calamitous version of Brexit,
2) allowed the UK to become the so pathetically marginalised and irrelevant as it now finds itself, and
3) allowed utter grifters and chancers such as Johnson, Williamson, nor indeed Baker himself within a hundred square miles of her cabinet.

Christ, did I just say something slightly supportive of Margaret Thatcher??! :shock: :shock: :shock:
mattomac, Amazonian liked this
By Oboogie
Arrowhead wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 12:11 am
Christ, did I just say something slightly supportive of Margaret Thatcher??! :shock: :shock: :shock:
Never underestimate the stupidity of the public.

In the darkest days of the 80s I used to console myself with the mantra "This is rock bottom. This is as bad as it gets. We'll learn our lesson. We'll never be so stupid again"

In the 2010s I observed Cameron and Brexit, hastily moved the bar several notches lower and said, "THIS is rock bottom. This is as bad as it gets. We'll learn our lesson. We'll never be so stupid again"

Then Boris Johnson happened and I tore up my mantra and kept my mouth shut.
Dalem Lake, Arrowhead, Spoonman and 5 others liked this
By Cyclist
Representing his constituents

Constituents of Steve Baker MP who are concerned about his environmental position have set up a “Steve Baker Watch” group and are launching a crowdfunding page to raise money. The constituents in Baker’s constituency of Wycombe in the rolling Chiltern Hills believe that Baker is trying to “wreck the government plans to improve the environment”.

Baker, who as chair of the European Research Group was instrumental in pressing for a hard Brexit, helped set up the Net Zero Scrutiny Group (NZSG), which has close links to the Global Warming Policy Foundation, a lobbyist group that has been accused of denying climate science.

https://amp.theguardian.com/environment ... ate-stance
By Andy McDandy
Apparently a lot of ERG types are hastily deleting tweets and blog messages showing support for Leave Means Leave and the likes of Banks, Fargle and so on.

Theories are that either serious shit is about to hit the "bad boys of Brexit"'s collective fans, or that the EU reaction to the war offers a tidy and face saving way back in.
mattomac, Nigredo liked this
By Malcolm Armsteen
The man is mentally ill, and now he's just playing the right-wing victimhood card.

Fuck him.

>edit<

I take back the 'mentally ill' part, he is a nasty, entitled narcissist and he deserves all the grief he gets. Augustus Caesar would have had him bricked into a wall niche.
long long title how many chars? lets see 123 ok more? yes 60

We have created lots of YouTube videos just so you can achieve [...]

Another post test yes yes yes or no, maybe ni? :-/

The best flat phpBB theme around. Period. Fine craftmanship and [...]

Do you need a super MOD? Well here it is. chew on this

All you need is right here. Content tag, SEO, listing, Pizza and spaghetti [...]

Lasagna on me this time ok? I got plenty of cash

this should be fantastic. but what about links,images, bbcodes etc etc? [...]