:sunglasses: 57.1 % :pray: 4.8 % :laughing: 28.6 % :poo: 9.5 %
By Abernathy
Youngian wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 6:02 pm Does Birmingham lack hotels with conference facilities?
I think McCluskey’s “logic” was that Unite would save loads of money by staging its own conferences and accommodating delegates at its own hotel (with all unionised staff). Which was bollocks. The reality is it cannot compete with the numerous facilities already available in Birmingham and the wider region.
By Malcolm Armsteen
Youngian wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 6:02 pm Does Birmingham lack hotels with conference facilities?
Yes. For big conferences, apart from the NEC there wasn't much when I was doing them.
By Malcolm Armsteen
For party conferences and the big international conferences we were organising, you need a huge venue, hundreds of guest rooms (plus a number of other large hotels nearby for the overspill), huge halls and many breakout rooms. Available in London, Blackpool, Brighton etc., the places you see the political parties go back to year on year. There wasn't such a venue in Brum back in the 2000s, don't know if any have been built since.

I did speak at a conference in Birmingham and I ended up in a Wetherspoons hotel...
By Malcolm Armsteen
Oblomov wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 1:05 pm

People hated Magic Grandad because of Operant Conditioning
You mean they trained pigeons to peck him?

Sounds fair.
By Abernathy
Malcolm Armsteen wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 8:58 pm For party conferences and the big international conferences we were organising, you need a huge venue, hundreds of guest rooms (plus a number of other large hotels nearby for the overspill), huge halls and many breakout rooms. Available in London, Blackpool, Brighton etc., the places you see the political parties go back to year on year. There wasn't such a venue in Brum back in the 2000s, don't know if any have been built since.

Well, there is the massive International Convention Centre - open since 1991. The Tories have held their conference there nearly every year for the past decade or so. How did you miss that?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ICC_Birmingham
By Malcolm Armsteen
We didn't. I'm not sure why we thought it wasn't suitable, but I remember spending a weekend there in about 2002. It could have been a dates problem.
By Malcolm Armsteen
Malcolm Armsteen wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 6:49 pm We didn't. I'm not sure why we thought it wasn't suitable, but I remember spending a weekend there in about 2002. It could have been a dates problem.
Wait - we did have a conference there, national not international. I remember now - a head teacher in London tried to claim 25p a mile travel expenses (we allowed 11p as I recall) and a couple of nice lady teachers tried to claim £35 for wine with their 'afternoon tea'.
Breakfasts OK, Hiltons were better, also did good fish & chips.
By Tubby Isaacs
Abernathy wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 6:17 pm
I think McCluskey’s “logic” was that Unite would save loads of money by staging its own conferences and accommodating delegates at its own hotel (with all unionised staff). Which was bollocks. The reality is it cannot compete with the numerous facilities already available in Birmingham and the wider region.
Yeah, could be that. Mix of wanting to set an example as goodbosses, and Jay off the Inbetweeners "How hard can hotels be, my Dad used to drink with Rocco Forte!"

This overrun is just on the building, isn't it?
long long title how many chars? lets see 123 ok more? yes 60

We have created lots of YouTube videos just so you can achieve [...]

Another post test yes yes yes or no, maybe ni? :-/

The best flat phpBB theme around. Period. Fine craftmanship and [...]

Do you need a super MOD? Well here it is. chew on this

All you need is right here. Content tag, SEO, listing, Pizza and spaghetti [...]

Lasagna on me this time ok? I got plenty of cash

this should be fantastic. but what about links,images, bbcodes etc etc? [...]