:sunglasses: 40.6 % :pray: 8.5 % :laughing: 30.2 % 🧥 4.7 % :cry: 12.3 % :🤗 3.8 %
satnav wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 8:15 pm Apparently Johnson was fibbing again today when he claimed that Bury South had always been a Labour seat until December 2019. In reality the seat wasn't created until 1983 and was Tory until 1997.
Yep, he's talking bollocks.

It was a very good gain for them, given it's not been obviously trending Kipper-Tory. Labour even did OK there in the 2021 local elections.
Bones McCoy wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 11:37 pm Big Lying Al and his crew appear to have forgotten that cellphones are a thing.
Some years ago - Abers may remember - a few new Tory councillors in Birmingham had a problem with the concept of what cc meant on emails, or some such inability to distingush between public and private. They don't do the twenty-first century very well.
davidjay wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 12:29 am
Bones McCoy wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 11:37 pm Big Lying Al and his crew appear to have forgotten that cellphones are a thing.
Some years ago - Abers may remember - a few new Tory councillors in Birmingham had a problem with the concept of what cc meant on emails, or some such inability to distingush between public and private. They don't do the twenty-first century very well.
Anything beyond the nineteenth was overreach for most.
Bones McCoy wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 12:57 am
davidjay wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 12:29 am
Anything beyond the nineteenth was overreach for most.
I think a few of them stumbled into the twentieth, didn't like it much, and went back.
Because they never needed to. It's quite often claimed that Thatcher, upon leaving office, was unable to make a phone call because for years she'd had a telephonist or secretary making and connecting calls for her. When the newspaper industry was computerised, plenty of hacks were used to dictating copy down the phone to a typist at the other end. With all of them gone, the hacks had trouble finding the on button, never mind mastering MS Word.

The stories - from Boiler's anecdote about the fusebox at Chequers to Cameron not knowing what LOL stood for - are legion. What they have in common is a context of people who have never had to do anything, because they always had the means to get someone else to do it for them. So they basically don't know how things work, because only that things worked was of interest to them.
See Boris' Big Bridge(s), or Alex's Airport, or Wanker's Water Cannon, or the Not Quite Wrightbuses

They aren't "how" people. They have people for that.
MisterMuncher wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 9:55 am See Boris' Big Bridge(s), or Alex's Airport, or Wanker's Water Cannon, or the Not Quite Wrightbuses

They aren't "how" people. They have people for that.
That Airport on "Boris Island" would have been in the vicinity of the SS Richard Montgomery.
The sunken wreck of a munitions ship, considered too dangerous to dismantle or approach.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SS_Richard_Montgomery
mattomac liked this
Perhaps my memory is off.
I recall Boris did hatch plots against his party leader, after resigning in a fit because Forrin Secretary was too hard and he kept incriminating the women in Iran.

Perhaps Sir Michael Take doesn't remember.
Perhaps Sir Michael Take is talking shite.
We shall never know until Sue Grey makes her announcement.
Nigredo, Spoonman, zuriblue liked this
But enough people remember the big ideas, and not the pesky details. Besides, they're booo-ring.

A bit like the old joke about "Why don't they build planes out of the stuff they make the black box out of?". It was either Douglas Adams or Eric Morecambe* who pointed out that the explanation why not (density of titanium vs that of aluminium) was, to a certain audience, funnier than the original statement.

See also Littlejohn vs Clarkson - both at one point or another made the "why, if the motorway is snarled up, can't I just drive down the hard shoulder?" argument. Difference was that Clarkson pulled back and pointed out that if you did, you'd be stopping emergency vehicles getting to where they were needed.

*Yes, I know.

PS Bones, Michael Take is...well, taking the Mickey.
Oboogie liked this
Heavens
When Billy Ten Pints things you've gone too far, it's time to sit up and take notice
mattomac liked this
Andy McDandy wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 12:38 pm But enough people remember the big ideas, and not the pesky details. Besides, they're booo-ring.

A bit like the old joke about "Why don't they build planes out of the stuff they make the black box out of?". It was either Douglas Adams or Eric Morecambe* who pointed out that the explanation why not (density of titanium vs that of aluminium) was, to a certain audience, funnier than the original statement.

See also Littlejohn vs Clarkson - both at one point or another made the "why, if the motorway is snarled up, can't I just drive down the hard shoulder?" argument. Difference was that Clarkson pulled back and pointed out that if you did, you'd be stopping emergency vehicles getting to where they were needed.

*Yes, I know.

PS Bones, Michael Take is...well, taking the Mickey.
Oh, is he a fictional character on the Twitters - I was not aware of that.
long long title how many chars? lets see 123 ok more? yes 60

We have created lots of YouTube videos just so you can achieve [...]

Another post test yes yes yes or no, maybe ni? :-/

The best flat phpBB theme around. Period. Fine craftmanship and [...]

Do you need a super MOD? Well here it is. chew on this

All you need is right here. Content tag, SEO, listing, Pizza and spaghetti [...]

Lasagna on me this time ok? I got plenty of cash

this should be fantastic. but what about links,images, bbcodes etc etc? [...]