:sunglasses: 50 % :pray: 6.3 % :laughing: 34.4 % :cry: 3.1 % :poo: 6.3 %
By Abernathy
Oboogie wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 9:07 pm
Abernathy wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 6:53 pm Seems she was previously a candidate for Galloway’s “Respect” party, and should not even have been in the hall.
Under what rule should she not have been in the hall?
She should not have even been a member - stood against an official Labour candidate. Salma Yaqoob’s first attempt to join (in my own CLP), for example, was blocked for that very reason.
mattomac, Arrowhead liked this
By Oboogie
Abernathy wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 10:22 pm
Oboogie wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 9:07 pm
Abernathy wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 6:53 pm Seems she was previously a candidate for Galloway’s “Respect” party, and should not even have been in the hall.
Under what rule should she not have been in the hall?
She should not have even been a member - stood against an official Labour candidate. Salma Yaqoob’s first attempt to join (in my own CLP), for example, was blocked for that very reason.
I knew about the block on being a candidate if you've stood for another party within five years, but I'd never heard that you can no longer join if you've stood for another party. When did that change?
Puts the kybosh on defections. Do you know if other parties have done this too, or is it just Labour?
By Abernathy
CLP Executive Committees get to scrutinise new membership applications and have always had the power to block a membership application if the EC agrees formally to raise objections and effectively veto any application. I was on my CLP EC when Yaqoob’s application came up, and the most vocal advocate of vetoing her application was our then MP Roger Godsiff - which is ironic as Godsiff later stood against the official Labour candidate in 2019 after he was deselected by the national party over his support for homophobic protest pickets at a local junior school.

If the CLP that let this woman’s membership through had been on the ball, though I’d hazard a guess that it happened during peak Corbyn, she would not have been in the conference hall.
By Malcolm Armsteen
Crabcakes wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 5:24 pm A man has been arrested for making threats to Angela Rayner. Thankfully looks like he's been stopped before we're faced with another tragedy.
It sounds pretty bad.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/202 ... ela-rayner
Oboogie liked this
By Youngian
Angela’s the deputy leader of a party that hasn’t been in power for 11 years and these people won in 2016, so what’s the matter with them? Still people of colour or speaking an East European language walking down the high street despite taking back control? And no tangible material benefits to deliver. But never mind, Johnson will do his best to dream up battlefields to carry on the culture war. Makes you wonder if he released the sewage to wind up the lefty bunny huggers.
Arrowhead liked this
By Andy McDandy
As Abers, among others, has said, there always used to be a basic civility in politics. Labour and Tory members would treat each other with politeness and respect. The exceptions were the likes of the BNP, or Militant, who occupied the fringes and nobody thought that they would leave them.

For me, the decline started in 1997, with Jimmy Goldsmith jeering Michael Portillo off the stage. Cathartic as his ousting was, it opened a door that the Kip and various other parties were quick to barge through.
By Abernathy
Tubby Isaacs wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 10:12 pm It was David Mellor who was being jeered by Goldsmith, but yeah. Mellor gave quite a good response back.
“Up your hacienda, Jimmy !”. Not exactly Oscar Wilde, but we’ll let him off.
Arrowhead liked this
By Youngian
Andy McDandy wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 8:39 pm As Abers, among others, has said, there always used to be a basic civility in politics. Labour and Tory members would treat each other with politeness and respect. The exceptions were the likes of the BNP, or Militant, who occupied the fringes and nobody thought that they would leave them.

For me, the decline started in 1997, with Jimmy Goldsmith jeering Michael Portillo off the stage. Cathartic as his ousting was, it opened a door that the Kip and various other parties were quick to barge through.

And they’ve dragged us all down with them. My contempt for the likes of James Goldsmith, Farage and Johnson is visceral and deep. Whereas someone like Mellor is a bit of a wally you had disagreements with but wasn’t in politics to feed off the worst emotions of human beings.
Heard the now ex-MP Caroline Flint on Any Questions who was convivial and calm making measured intelligent points. A year ago she was lost down the culture war rabbit hole and had become quite a nasty piece of work. A pleasure to see she’s climbed out.
By Tubby Isaacs
Unless there's some further detail, I'm missing (I never listen to the audio), this sounds like a way of giving free money to people in big houses. I know Labour is already proposing to help the poorest by keeping the UC uplift and reducing the clawback, but better way to do this than a VAT cut would be what Sunak's doing, a special fund, except with adequate money in it.

Reeves probably knows that. Maybe this is how you do it, just promise to cut the thing that most people don't like (ie tax).

By Malcolm Armsteen
Just received:

The Labour Party wrote:Notification of data incident

Private and Confidential

Wednesday 3 November 2021

Dear Sir / Madam,

We are writing to you to let you know that a third party that handles data on our behalf has been subject to a cyber incident. While the Party’s investigation remains ongoing, we wanted to make you aware of this incident and the measures which we have taken in response. We have also provided details of precautionary steps you may consider taking to help protect yourself.

What happened?

On 29 October 2021, we were informed of the cyber incident by the third party. The third party told us that the incident had resulted in a significant quantity of Party data being rendered inaccessible on their systems. As soon as the Party was notified of these matters, we engaged third-party experts and the incident was immediately reported to the relevant authorities, including the National Crime Agency (NCA), National Cyber Security Centre (NCSC) and the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO). The Party continues to work closely with each of these authorities. The Party is also working closely and on an urgent basis with the third party in order to understand the full nature, circumstances and impact of the incident. The Party’s own data systems were unaffected by this incident.

What information was involved?

We understand that the data includes information provided to the Party by its members, registered and affiliated supporters, and other individuals who have provided their information to the Party. The full scope and impact of the incident is being urgently investigated.

What are the Labour Party doing?

The Party takes the security of all personal information for which it is responsible very seriously. It is doing everything within its power to investigate and address this incident in close liaison with law enforcement, the Information Commissioner’s Office and the affected third party.
Last edited by Malcolm Armsteen on Wed Nov 03, 2021 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
long long title how many chars? lets see 123 ok more? yes 60

We have created lots of YouTube videos just so you can achieve [...]

Another post test yes yes yes or no, maybe ni? :-/

The best flat phpBB theme around. Period. Fine craftmanship and [...]

Do you need a super MOD? Well here it is. chew on this

All you need is right here. Content tag, SEO, listing, Pizza and spaghetti [...]

Lasagna on me this time ok? I got plenty of cash

this should be fantastic. but what about links,images, bbcodes etc etc? [...]