:sunglasses: 50 % :pray: 6.3 % :laughing: 34.4 % :cry: 3.1 % :poo: 6.3 %
By Abernathy
Malcolm Armsteen wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 7:14 pm Which is why I think it's just another tactic in the strategy of moving the party back to 2010 in terms of organisation.
I’m not right sure I get your meaning, Malc. Can you elucidate ?
By Malcolm Armsteen
I think there's an overarching strategy - the 'big picture' - which will be achieved through a number of tactics, of which this is one. It may work, if it doesn't you try a different tactic, but the strategy remains unchanged - fuck the SWP.
By Abernathy
Yes, I’d agree. The Trots remain an absolute millstone round the party’s neck, and they haven’t been nearly comprehensively enough dealt with yet.

I’m worrying that we’re running out of time, though.
By davidjay
Abernathy wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 3:46 pm
mattomac wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 1:44 pm Anything that allows people to pay some small fee to choose a leader and then bugger off only to reappear when said leader or leaders successor needs to get elected should be got rid.

Surprised to see the Unions were the ones you need to get onside, I would have thought that was why Starmer was pushing it as they would generally back it.

Labour will only be electable once it’s agree that the enemy is not in the party but out.
I distinctly recall the likes of Daniel Hannan saying that they were happy to hand over 3 quid in order to cast a vote for the leadership candidate most likely to lead Labour to a crushing defeat - AKA Jeremy Bernard Corbyn.
If that had been the Tories in 2015 we'd have voted for Johnson.
By Abernathy
davidjay wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 11:04 pm If that had been the Tories in 2015 we'd have voted for Johnson.
Don't think so - after all, the Tories that did vote him in did so because they thought him an election winner, which he proved that he was. He's just a shite PM.

If we'd had a vote in the Tory leadership election, it would have been for Hunt, not Johnson.
Boiler, Nigredo liked this
By Boiler
Unfortunately for me, whenever I hear Jeremy Hunt's name I am instantly transported back in time into my car whilst driving to work and listening to James Naughtie absolutely on the edge of a fit of the giggles after his little faux pas.

Funny how we don't remember Jeremy Vine doing exactly the same thing a few hours later...
By Tubby Isaacs
Usual high standards from this account. If the rules are different, then candidates do different things. MPs in 2010 wouldn't think "Oh well, shame Balls/Burnham didn't get there, but I'm sticking with them". If they prefered Ed M to David M, they'd nominate Ed, so he'd likely make it easily. I imagine Ed would get nearly all the Abbot supporters too.

By Malcolm Armsteen
Starmer's rule changes have passed. It seems Momentum have taken it badly.

In the EHRC debate the chair is being heckled. Guess who?
Oboogie liked this
By Malcolm Armsteen
In the EHRC motion, 76% in favour.

Oboogie liked this
By The Weeping Angel
Labourlist's first time conference delegate has a different take.

https://labourlist.org/2021/09/first-ti ... day-three/
Monday morning’s conference arrangements committee (CAC) report contained the results of Sunday’s card votes. It had already been announced in the press that all of Keir Starmer’s rule changes had passed so there were no surprises there. But it was interesting to read the breakdown of the votes. A majority of Constituency Labour Party (CLP) delegates had voted against the proposal to increase the MP nomination threshold in future leadership contests. The change had won just a slim majority overall (53%-47%) and it seemed key to this result that UNISON delegates apparently voted with the leadership, against the recommendation of the union’s Labour Link committee.

I was struck by the contrast between how this issue was presented in the press and how it appeared on conference floor. The media described the vote as a major victory for the leadership. I’m not so sure. The final proposal was the third iteration considered. First, the leadership wanted to abolish one-member-one-vote and return to the electoral college. This was withdrawn. Then they wanted a nomination threshold of 25%, but this too was watered down. When the final proposal of 20% hit conference floor, it could not win a majority of CLP delegates and only squeaked through by a whisker. I don’t remember Jeremy Corbyn ever facing such opposition from delegates yet the press never covered his conference victories so sympathetically.
By Malcolm Armsteen
Sam Coates on Sky News explicitly blamed the supply problems on Brexit, then eviscerated Johnson. Good stuff, and actually objective.

I wonder when we'll see the same from the BBC.
long long title how many chars? lets see 123 ok more? yes 60

We have created lots of YouTube videos just so you can achieve [...]

Another post test yes yes yes or no, maybe ni? :-/

The best flat phpBB theme around. Period. Fine craftmanship and [...]

Do you need a super MOD? Well here it is. chew on this

All you need is right here. Content tag, SEO, listing, Pizza and spaghetti [...]

Lasagna on me this time ok? I got plenty of cash

this should be fantastic. but what about links,images, bbcodes etc etc? [...]