:sunglasses: 30 % :pray: 3.3 % :laughing: 26.7 % :cry: 26.7 % :🤗 10 % :poo: 3.3 %
Meanwhile, Conservative Home repeating the Telegraph.
Ellwood: Bring in the military
“We require a fresh approach in the day-to-day running of Number 10. I believe the nation would approve of inviting a senior military officer to take responsibility. It may sound like a cliché to seek a military solution, but the public needs a sense of assurance that rigour will return to Downing Street, along with improved command and control. Not only in operations but in management and process. And there is a reason why we call on the military in times of need. Their training in strategic thinking, situational awareness and management of the mission are invaluable during a crisis. Why do we wait for things to go out of control before leaning on these assets?” – Tobias Ellwood, Daily Telegraph
Now there was me assuming that the Tories wanted the military in when there was an out-of-control Labour government to topple.

What a wizzard wheeze to bring the out-of-control in by themselves.

Unfortunately, the real guys are focused on Ukraine.
This means the only available senior military figure is Lt General Francois.
Oboogie liked this
I saw that tweet yesterday and it instantly jogged my memory to the beginning of the last decade where the Tories, well Gove as Education Secretary I believe, made a big thing about have ex-soldiers getting fast-tracked to become teachers so they could turnaround "tough" schools. Whatever happened with that - was there a big take up?
Dalem Lake wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 8:39 am I saw that tweet yesterday and it instantly jogged my memory to the beginning of the last decade where the Tories, well Gove as Education Secretary I believe, made a big thing about have ex-soldiers getting fast-tracked to become teachers so they could turnaround "tough" schools. Whatever happened with that - was there a big take up?
I can't remember the exact figures now, but I posted about this in the pre Big Fire version of this forum. The amount of money spent and the very low take-up meant that every squaddie-turned-teacher cost the taxpayer over five million quid.

Party of fiscal responsibility.
Youngian wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 9:35 am An unexpected turn in the Tory meltdown; Replace Bozo with a military junta, urges MP
Another Army Dreamer (with apologies to Kate Bush).

It's always "put 'em in the Army!", isn't it? (wasn't that covered by Not The Nine O'clock news, per Rowan Atkinson?)
And thankfully it's the army who will be usually first to explain why military juntas are really bad things. Namely, one they're in power, they're very hard to get rid of.
But, the military are the "simples" answer for the hard of thinking.

* Short of teachers: Send in the military.
* Short of ambulance drivers: Send in the military.
* Inadequate flood preparation: Send in the military.
* A&E staff shortage: Send in the military.
* No infrastructure to distribute vaccines: Send in the military.
* Rupert Soames' hobby company fucked up the Olympics security: Send in the military.

It's OK as a very short term stop-gap, but the military have been cut back, are over-stretched and have their eyes on the Russia / Ukraine border.

Last edited by Bones McCoy on Sun Jan 23, 2022 2:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Nigredo, Oboogie liked this
It's the next stage after the fetishisation of the armed forces, one of the steps toward fascism.

In fact it's the fetishisation of authoritarianism and the decline of personal moral responsibility. Just following orders...
Bones McCoy wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 1:15 pm But, the military are the "simples" answer for the hard of thinking.

* Short of teachers: Send in the military.
* Short of ambulance drivers: Send in the military.
* Inadequate flood preparation: Send in the military.
* A&E staff shortage: Send in the military.
* No infrastructure to distribute vaccines: Send in the military.
* Rupert Soames' hobby company fucked up the Olympics security: Send in the military.

It's OK as a very short term stop-gap, but the military have been cut back, are over-stretched and have their eyes on the Russia / Ukraine border.
In more sensible times, didn’t it used to be a mark of shame/complete failure of governance if the military had to be drafted in for any non-operational matter?
Oblomov wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 1:33 pm In more sensible times, didn’t it used to be a mark of shame/complete failure of governance if the military had to be drafted in for any non-operational matter?
Nah, that question has only one answer:

"Labour went cap in hand to the IMF."
"Army Green Goddesses on standby..." whenever a drought or a firefighter strike loomed.

As Fry and Laurie said in the mid 80s, the primary role of the army is to serve as a masturbatory aid to tabloid readers and Tory MPs.
Andy McDandy wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 12:17 pm And thankfully it's the army who will be usually first to explain why military juntas are really bad things. Namely, one they're in power, they're very hard to get rid of.
The Royal Navy has had to explain why mariners aren’t up for for drowning children into the sea with sonic weapons.
Andy McDandy wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 2:15 pm "Army Green Goddesses on standby..." whenever a drought or a firefighter strike loomed.
Interesting fact about the "Green Goddess": it's a "Self Propelled Pump", not a fire engine.

https://www.footmanjames.co.uk/blog/gre ... -protector
Cyclist liked this
Andy McDandy wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 3:43 pm Might have to question your use of "interesting" there. ;)
Neither interesting, nor correct. Yer actual fire service refer to what you and I call fire engines as "Fire Appliances"*.

*source: my partner's father who served 40 years with North Yorkshire Fire & Rescue Service.
long long title how many chars? lets see 123 ok more? yes 60

We have created lots of YouTube videos just so you can achieve [...]

Another post test yes yes yes or no, maybe ni? :-/

The best flat phpBB theme around. Period. Fine craftmanship and [...]

Do you need a super MOD? Well here it is. chew on this

All you need is right here. Content tag, SEO, listing, Pizza and spaghetti [...]

Lasagna on me this time ok? I got plenty of cash

this should be fantastic. but what about links,images, bbcodes etc etc? [...]