:sunglasses: 40.6 % :pray: 8.5 % :laughing: 30.2 % 🧥 4.7 % :cry: 12.3 % :🤗 3.8 %
Oblomov wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 5:01 pm https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-58654624

The pork haystack is feeling nettled.
Just thought I'd share my amusement at Boris Johnson's attempt to speak French.

As far as I can see the primary meaning of "Donnez-moi un break" is " give me an estate car".

I presume, but I've not checked, that is where we get the term "shooting brake" from - or maybe the French adopted it from English?
Racism against the French* is widely considered acceptable in England.

*And the Irish, of course.
Oboogie wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 1:39 pm

As far as I can see the primary meaning of "Donnez-moi un break" is " give me an estate car".

I presume, but I've not checked, that is where we get the term "shooting brake" from - or maybe the French adopted it from English?
I've always thought that a brake was a horse drawn carriage and a shooting brake therefore a carriage that took the gentry to the grouse moors
davidjay wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 3:03 pm
Oboogie wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 1:39 pm

I've always thought that a brake was a horse drawn carriage and a shooting brake therefore a carriage that took the gentry to the grouse moors
Correct.
I believe it's derived from the Dutch word, 'brik', which is a form of horse drawn farm cart.
A shooting brake was originally as you describe. The motorised version used the same name which was an early form of, what became known as, an estate car or, more latterly, a people carrier. The French word for an estate car is a "break".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shooting_brake
Sometimes. It's another English word which confuses the Gallic lexicon.
Malcolm Armsteen wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 4:43 pm Sometimes. It's another English word which confuses the Gallic lexicon.
Not just the Gauls! I expect this is old news to the railway buffs amongst us, but I've only just caught up with the derivation of vokzal which is the (transliterated from the Russian alphabet) word for railway station.

A visiting Russian delegation studying the embryonic English railway network were apparently shown Vauxhall station and adopted the name for their own designs, and it became the generic name for a station in Russia.

Funny old game, language.
Boiler, Samanfur liked this
By Boiler
Oboogie wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 5:46 pm Not just the Gauls! I expect this is old news to the railway buffs amongst us, but I've only just caught up with the derivation of vokzal which is the (transliterated from the Russian alphabet) word for railway station.
Despite having an interest in railways almost since I could walk, I only learned that about a year or two ago myself - courtesy of a mate who gave me a present of a mug depicting an FD20-class locomotive when he visited the railway museum in Moscow.

The use of "Break" to denote an estate car in French I learned from car audio catalogues in the 80s!

"Station Wagon" is another matter, but I digress.
Ah the British leading the way on climate change, always helps when you have no manufacturing base.

The guy who decided to host the G7 summit in one of the remotest villages in Cornwall and then decided to fly the 150 miles.

Not to mention the pointless red arrows wank fest, climate change only matters when you can lecturer others.
Even Bolsonaro sees Johnson as a total bellend. The South American president also explained to the gringo that he's not running a banana republic and can't just 'have a word' to shift whisky.
Brazilian President Jair Bolsonaro said on Thursday that British Prime Minister Boris Johnson, whom he met this week in New York, asked him for an "emergency" agreement to supply a food product that is lacking in Britain.

Bolsonaro, speaking on his weekly webcast to supporters, did not name the product, but said he had passed Johnson's request to his agriculture minister, Tereza Cristina.

"He wants an emergency agreement with us to import some kind of food that is lacking in England," he said.

Bolsonaro said Johnson also asked him to help increase Brazilian imports of whisky from Britain, but he added in his social media talk that this was up to private business and not his government.
https://www.reuters.com/world/bolsonaro ... ce=twitter
long long title how many chars? lets see 123 ok more? yes 60

We have created lots of YouTube videos just so you can achieve [...]

Another post test yes yes yes or no, maybe ni? :-/

The best flat phpBB theme around. Period. Fine craftmanship and [...]

Do you need a super MOD? Well here it is. chew on this

All you need is right here. Content tag, SEO, listing, Pizza and spaghetti [...]

Lasagna on me this time ok? I got plenty of cash

this should be fantastic. but what about links,images, bbcodes etc etc? [...]