:sunglasses: 26.7 % :pray: 15 % :laughing: 35 % 🧥 1.7 % :cry: 13.3 % :🤗 6.7 % :poo: 1.7 %
By Spoonman
Even a few years ago when the NI Conservatives were running in most Assembly & General Election constituencies, they were less popular than a shit sandwich. Nowadays they're on their death throes.

NI Conservatives fielding just one candidate in May Assembly election

THE Northern Ireland Conservatives are to run just one candidate in the forthcoming Assembly election.

Matthew Robinson, who is the party's chairman, is standing in North Down .

This compares to five years ago when the party fielded 13 candidates.

It comes just weeks after Gary Hynds, who was the NI Conservatives candidate in Lagan Valley, quit the party in protest over the Northern Ireland Protocol.

Now running as an independent in the May poll, he accused his former party of being "incredibly out of touch".

Alan Dunlop, the former party chair, also quit six months ago and has claimed that local Tories were almost "an extinct species".

But the party's sole candidate Mr Robinson, who in the Westminster constituency election in 2019 picked up almost 2,000 votes, has urged people to back the party as "your first choice for change".

He said that he wants to be the "pragmatic, pro-business, liberal voice that it so lacking in our politics"
https://www.irishnews.com/news/northern ... s441rif44T

Note for those not too familiar with NI politics - North Down has long been an area with a small but notable base for the Tories in this part of the world, partly because the constituency whilst largely Unionist leaning has a reputation of being a bit of a maverick - in the 1992 GE the Tory candidate came second there with 32% of the vote, though this dropped to just 2.1% in a 1995 by-election. Since then their GE share in the constituency (when they've stood) has bounced between 2-5%, with Assembly 1st preference votes between 1-3%.
Tubby Isaacs liked this
By MisterMuncher
I'll miss the odd Tory soul that used to appear in South Down.

Not that I would vote for them or anything, it was just amusing to hear how thoroughly they misunderstood Northern Ireland and their own party
By davidjay
Youngian wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 9:40 am Never understood why the Conservative Party stands in NI, wouldn’t you vote UUP if the Tories are your bag?
I think it's because they have an ethos that anyone should have the opportunity to vote Conservative. I would guess that it's also a tactical thing, appealing to the Unionist part of their name.
By Abernathy
I think it’s probably now safe to say that Sunak’s chances of succeeding Johnson as PM are toast. However, “Partygate” still isn’t quite dead. Johnson could still be shown the door or have to stand down.

In which case, who’s the next Tory leader?

Truss?
Patel? (christ, surely not)
Zahawi?

I’m thinking that the Saj is now quite nicely poised. That’s if the swivel-eyed grass roots Tory electorate will bite the bullet and vote for a brown mekon.
By MisterMuncher
I wonder exactly how many Tory operatives and Murdoch hacks are currently working their way through a list of Labour spouses for the smell of the ghost of impropriety
By Malcolm Armsteen
That probably doesn't matter. Like the truth of Starmer and Savile. The brain-deprived progress-hating right just needs its slogans...
Boiler, Spoonman, Oboogie and 1 others liked this
long long title how many chars? lets see 123 ok more? yes 60

We have created lots of YouTube videos just so you can achieve [...]

Another post test yes yes yes or no, maybe ni? :-/

The best flat phpBB theme around. Period. Fine craftmanship and [...]

Do you need a super MOD? Well here it is. chew on this

All you need is right here. Content tag, SEO, listing, Pizza and spaghetti [...]

Lasagna on me this time ok? I got plenty of cash

this should be fantastic. but what about links,images, bbcodes etc etc? [...]