:sunglasses: 40.6 % :pray: 8.5 % :laughing: 30.2 % 🧥 4.7 % :cry: 12.3 % :🤗 3.8 %
Mk II Churchill's remarks are going down about as well as could be expected

Boris Johnson has caused fury among political leaders across Europe – and outrage among opponents of Brexit at home – after he compared the resistance of the Ukrainian people to Russia’s invasion to the UK’s decision to leave the EU...

https://amp.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... d-as-crass
Can we have the question mark at the end of this thread title removed please? It is now a statement of fact.
kreuzberger, Dalem Lake, Oboogie and 3 others liked this
By Boiler
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-60809454

Donald Tusk, ex-president of the European Council, said Mr Johnson's comments would "offend Ukrainians, the British and common sense".

Guy Verhofstadt, the former prime minister of Belgium who was the European Parliament's chief Brexit negotiator, said the comparison was "insane".

Lord Barwell, who served as Theresa May's chief of staff in No 10, said: "Apart from the bit where voting in a free and fair referendum isn't in any way comparable with risking your life to defend your country against invasion, and the awkward fact the Ukrainians are fighting for the freedom to join the EU, this comparison is bang on."
Starmer is playing it right, I think. He’s being statesmanlike, and letting Johnson drag himself (further) into the gutter. He could be all over it, but there’s no need - and a domestic row is what Johnson is desperate for.

The response to his speech has been overwhelmingly negative. All he has - literally all - is brexit and vaccine rollout. He can’t tie the latter to Ukraine so he’s had a stab at tying the former. It failed - and the story he was at a Russian oligarch’s fundraiser the very night of the invasion breaking the same day has underlined how everything he’s said is bullshit.
Oboogie, Watchman, Nigredo liked this
So they dismiss the breaking of the law as “fluff” but will run an election campaign based solely on being “anti-woke”.

I don’t want to prejudge the great British public but I’d be surprised if during a cost of living crisis they will rally to a PM who is banging on about protecting statues.

Yes GB news exists but only about 60k are tuning in
Oboogie liked this
Cyclist wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 8:51 pm Mk II Churchill's remarks are going down about as well as could be expected

Boris Johnson has caused fury among political leaders across Europe – and outrage among opponents of Brexit at home – after he compared the resistance of the Ukrainian people to Russia’s invasion to the UK’s decision to leave the EU...

https://amp.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... d-as-crass
Can we have the question mark at the end of this thread title removed please? It is now a statement of fact.
Not feeling the widespread disgust and outrage as this is what Britain Trump does and who he is. Core Tory voters may find the speech off-key but nowhere near a deal breaker. Still think this is a logical strategy to woo back former BNP and UKIP voters from ‘don’t know.’ Johnson only needs a few points from these arseholes to overtake Labour.
Abernathy liked this
I think he knows exactly what he's doing. He's calculated that for enough people, cost of living can be mitigated if they can call other people names. As long as you have someone to look down on, you have a view.

And it's not just minorities, but the greater category of "clever bastards". We may be one of the few countries that view intelligence with suspicion, and oh boy, he knows it.
I held my nose and waded into the Mail and Express comments online, and even there, a majority was condemning him, a lot starting their comments with phrases like "I voted for Brexit and still think it was the right thing to do, but come off it!"

It's clear that the only ones unreservedly agreeing with him are the real swivel eyed loons who have an incredible inability to grasp reality.

However, perhaps they're right. Perhaps I have selective amnesia, and I can't remember the Isle of Wight being annexed by France, the paratroopers landing in Huddersfield, the EU warship in the Wash launching a cruise missile that hit a school in Peterborough, the Ramsgate amphibious landings, the Battle of Dorking, and all the others.

As for the Starmer comment, on one hand you have a hypothetical white flag, which there is zero basis that it would ever be used. On the other, there is a hypothetical red carpet, which was rolled out to accept monies from those close to Putin.
Oboogie, Arrowhead, Nigredo liked this
The reasoning there being "Labour, lefties, reds under the bed, Commies, Russia", ignoring any of the events of the last few decades.

Also up there is Sunak with his "I'm a Tory Chancellor, I hate raising taxes!", the implication being that the louder he protests this is the last thing he wants to do, the more we'll believe that big boys in the Treasury made him do it.

Serious abusive partner energy from all of them.
And the headbangers in the local associations will lap it up.
Youngian, Nigredo liked this
There seems to be an emerging consensus that Johnson’s crass remarks about Brexit and the invasion of Ukraine were not only calculatedly deliberate, as Andy has pointed out, but actually represent the opening shots in the Tories’ general election campaign for 2024 , or perhaps even 2023. The main reason why Starmer has largely so far declined to engage on the Brexit debacle, and in particular the vexed question of its possible reversal/rejoining, is that Johnson would dearly love to re-litigate the entire Brexit/will of the people/traitors shitshow to mobilise the swivel-eyed fuckwits who delivered his huge majority in 2019, and who still remain convinced that Brexit is the best thing since Katerina Witt got naked. It is furthermore, as Andy also points out, just about all he’s got. Especially if the “Partygate” fluff grows legs again.

So expect much ,much, more of this sort of shite. Strap yerselves in.
long long title how many chars? lets see 123 ok more? yes 60

We have created lots of YouTube videos just so you can achieve [...]

Another post test yes yes yes or no, maybe ni? :-/

The best flat phpBB theme around. Period. Fine craftmanship and [...]

Do you need a super MOD? Well here it is. chew on this

All you need is right here. Content tag, SEO, listing, Pizza and spaghetti [...]

Lasagna on me this time ok? I got plenty of cash

this should be fantastic. but what about links,images, bbcodes etc etc? [...]