:sunglasses: 15.8 % :laughing: 63.2 % :cry: 15.8 % :🤗 5.3 %
By satnav
When Johnson won the Tory leadership election he did so without making too many policy pledges. The only big commitment he made was to 'Get Brexit done.' Truss however seems to have made numerous commitments many of which will be hard to deliver in the short-term. While Truss may enjoy a small bounce on becoming Prime Minister it is hard to see the bounce will last for long especially if she fails to deliver on her various commitments.

The emergency budget will only serve as a sticking plaster in terms of the cost of living crisis. Her commitment to create extra sources of energy will take years to delivery and certainly won't come about before the next general election.
By Abernathy
You know, I have a feeling that Truss’s “emergency budget” is going to be hopelessly inadequate. People are going to suffer, but it’ll hasten the Tories’ demise.

I might even go further and suggest that for most voters, the Tories are getting very close to the point of no return, which is to say the point at which most voters have cemented in an irrevocable decision that whenever the election comes, they are going to vote to make sure this appalling bunch of shysters is thrown out of office. I think that the last time such a watershed was arrived at was late 1996, and the first quarter of 1997.

I’m probably wrong, but fuck me, I hope I’m right.
Malcolm Armsteen, mattomac, zuriblue and 1 others liked this
By mattomac
I do think there is a shelf life for governments. The T&H by election on the south west news showed up some major issues that you often got in some of the northern seats with Labour.

It’s natural for America and it is here, Major runs 4 months after in 1992 then Kinnock probably ends it.

The LDs will be more important next election for the first time since 2010. I’m hopeful the shelf life theory holds and I think they would need something far better than what they have to change it.

If that budget doesn’t come even close to easing the pain (and they would probably have to follow Starmer’s lead on stalling the cap rise) then I think it will end up like Sunak’s in April.
By davidjay
Abernathy wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 9:36 pm You know, I have a feeling that Truss’s “emergency budget” is going to be hopelessly inadequate. People are going to suffer, but it’ll hasten the Tories’ demise.

I might even go further and suggest that for most voters, the Tories are getting very close to the point of no return, which is to say the point at which most voters have cemented in an irrevocable decision that whenever the election comes, they are going to vote to make sure this appalling bunch of shysters is thrown out of office. I think that the last time such a watershed was arrived at was late 1996, and the first quarter of 1997.

I’m probably wrong, but fuck me, I hope I’m right.
I'm reminded more and more of Roy Hattersley's quote about the lead up to 1997 being like walking down a highly-polished corridor carrying a priceless vase, or similar. The biggest problems are that Starmer isn't as adept at carrying priceless vases as Blair, and he's got more than enough on his own side trying to trip him up.
Abernathy liked this
By Abernathy
davidjay wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 10:49 am It's laugh or you'd cry time.

Well, to be fair to Thick Lizzie, she could hardly do a Jeremy Corbyn and say that she'd never push the annihilation button under any circumstances. She's playing to an electorate of swivel-eyed nutjobs, after all. But she was, shall we say, a trifle enthusiastically brusque.

Come to think of it, given that in that scenario we'd all be fucking toast anyway, I think I prefer Jezza's answer.
Last edited by Abernathy on Wed Aug 24, 2022 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By AOB
She could give herself an easy start as PM; make it illegal for energy companies to disconnect anybody, much in the same way water companies cannot do likewise to defaulting payers. Do what they have to do to collect the money, just don't disconnect. Councils have nothing to disconnect when payers default on council tax. Energy companies can go down the same road as them to collect their money. This wouldn't solve the overriding financial issue, but it would eliminate the worry of many of being disconnected. Or better still, just call a GE.
long long title how many chars? lets see 123 ok more? yes 60

We have created lots of YouTube videos just so you can achieve [...]

Another post test yes yes yes or no, maybe ni? :-/

The best flat phpBB theme around. Period. Fine craftmanship and [...]

Do you need a super MOD? Well here it is. chew on this

All you need is right here. Content tag, SEO, listing, Pizza and spaghetti [...]

Lasagna on me this time ok? I got plenty of cash

this should be fantastic. but what about links,images, bbcodes etc etc? [...]