:sunglasses: 27.6 % :pray: 13.8 % :laughing: 34.5 % 🧥 1.7 % :cry: 13.8 % :🤗 6.9 % :poo: 1.7 %
By davidjay
Andy McDandy wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 6:46 pm Shropshire is predominantly white and like rural Essex, full of arseholes convinced that the big cities are "lost". Quite a few BNP types in them hills too.

Anyway, safe seats engender complacency. They don't expect any serious challenges, so abuse their privilege and do and say whatever they want. Their local associations are likely full of head bangers who don't really mind.
White flight. It's no coincidence that Nick Griffin had his Fuhrerbunker on the Welsh border.
kreuzberger liked this
By Abernathy
Malcolm Armsteen wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 8:47 pm People like Us usually discount how truly awful and archaic the Tory Local Associations are.

I was berated by one for having a beard. At my father-in-law's memorial...
Kind of shows just how typically ignorant and out of touch Tories can be. (Male) facial hair is very much part of the zeitgeist, and has been for, oh, about ten years or so now. There was a time, in the 1950s and 1960s, when a clean-shaven fizzog was very much the default look for men in western society. Beards were for sailors, folk singers, and manky hippy types. Now, every other man has facial hair of one sort or another.
mattomac, Nigredo liked this
By davidjay
Abernathy wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 9:47 pm
Malcolm Armsteen wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 8:47 pm People like Us usually discount how truly awful and archaic the Tory Local Associations are.

Kind of shows just how typically ignorant and out of touch Tories can be. (Male) facial hair is very much part of the zeitgeist, and has been for, oh, about ten years or so now. There was a time, in the 1950s and 1960s, when a clean-shaven fizzog was very much the default look for men in western society. Beards were for sailors, folk singers, and manky hippy types. Now, every other man has facial hair of one sort or another.
For those people the worst day in history was 31st January 1959.
Oboogie liked this
By Boiler
davidjay wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 11:25 pm
Boiler wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 11:09 pm
davidjay wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 10:03 pm For those people the worst day in history was 31st January 1959.
?
The end of the fifties. The next decade was when civilisation crumbled.
Shouldn't it be the 31st December 1959 in that case?
By Cyclist
Fz750 wrote:Shouldn't that post be in pedants corner ?
When I read davidjay's post above my first thought was: what happened on the first of February 1959?

It's a classic example of using the wrong word and completely changing/removing the meaning of the statement.

So no, not pedantic at all.

Edit to add some real pedantry:

The last day of the 1950s was the 31st of December 1960. The Gregorian calendar starts with year 1, not 0.
Malcolm Armsteen liked this
By Youngian
Abernathy wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 9:47 pm

Think it was Jon Stewart he noted that the Republicans were once the daddy party; responsible sober people who took the national finances, defence and security very seriously. Now they’re the drunken absent bum father’s party. We’re now in an age where the manky hippies and airy-fairy arty types would rather have the suits in charge than wankstain wasters like Boris Johnson.
By Tubby Isaacs
Have you heard of the evil plans to shut down Cockfosters Station, thwarted at the last minute by brave Grant Shapps? No? That's because there aren't any plans to do that. What this Tory councillor is talking about is a car park at Cockfosters Station. TfL went through ages of consultation and planning, came up with plans for homes (of which 40% affordable). Local council approve. Blocked by the Secretary of State.

By davidjay
Boiler wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 11:26 pm
davidjay wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 11:25 pm
Boiler wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 11:09 pm

?
The end of the fifties. The next decade was when civilisation crumbled.

Shouldn't it be the 31st December 1959 in that case?
Sorry, that was my fault. 31st December it was.
By Tubby Isaacs
Boiler wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 7:02 pm I noted from colleagues that the Television Centre multistorey car park on Wood Lane has now gone and it will be replaced by two social housing blocks containing 142 homes called Macfarlane Place.
That sounds like a very good swap. I know some BBC staff would have worked unsociable ours, but was there any need for a multistorey car park's worth to drive in every day? Then again, I suppose it was considered normal for lots of Inland Revenue staff to drive in to Somerset House and park in the courtyard relatively recently.
By kreuzberger
Tubby Isaacs wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 6:28 pm As others have said, Sadiq's been told to build more houses on brownfield land and raise money for TfL. Hard to think of a better way of doing that than building on a car park used by people who don't live in London so that they can spend less on commuting.
I have crisp tenner that says that those commuters are not all merchant bankers, rather key workers who have been priced out of Central London.

My solution remains and forever will; make all public transport free at the point of use.
By Boiler
Tubby Isaacs wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 8:10 pm
Boiler wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 7:02 pm I noted from colleagues that the Television Centre multistorey car park on Wood Lane has now gone and it will be replaced by two social housing blocks containing 142 homes called Macfarlane Place.
That sounds like a very good swap. I know some BBC staff would have worked unsociable ours, but was there any need for a multistorey car park's worth to drive in every day? Then again, I suppose it was considered normal for lots of Inland Revenue staff to drive in to Somerset House and park in the courtyard relatively recently.
As I recall, the MSCP (as it was known) was originally intended for the use of employees on anti-social hours (and there were lots of them) but there were certainly plenty of the 9-5 brigade in there - and you had to get tickets for it too. When Television Centre was in full swing with every studio working yes, it could easily get filled every day - lots of people came in from afar, some less so. It really was a very busy building indeed in its heyday.
Last edited by Boiler on Sat Mar 12, 2022 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tubby Isaacs liked this
long long title how many chars? lets see 123 ok more? yes 60

We have created lots of YouTube videos just so you can achieve [...]

Another post test yes yes yes or no, maybe ni? :-/

The best flat phpBB theme around. Period. Fine craftmanship and [...]

Do you need a super MOD? Well here it is. chew on this

All you need is right here. Content tag, SEO, listing, Pizza and spaghetti [...]

Lasagna on me this time ok? I got plenty of cash

this should be fantastic. but what about links,images, bbcodes etc etc? [...]