:sunglasses: 50 % :laughing: 43.8 % :cry: 6.3 %
By Malcolm Armsteen
The Rationalist wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 10:25 am I don't like to say this but Aunt Thomasina!
I think it needs to be said, but it's a complex thing. A young black woman denying that there is racial prejudice in the UK in order to please the people who would deny her full rights as a citizen? That is a complicatedly fucked up mind.
By Youngian
The Rationalist wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 10:25 am I don't like to say this but Aunt Thomasina!
I don’t despise politicians of colour who push poisonous culture war, any more than white ones. Would if I wasn’t white.

This is certainly a different generation to black and Asian Tories who entered the party under Major. They just wanted a normal centre right party not still being haunted by Enoch’s ghost. Sayeeda Warsi is now Stewart Pearson after his sacking
By Andy McDandy
Basic self-centeredness, at least in part?

Nobody abused her, therefore there's not a problem. Or, like Patel, she was bullied but rose above it/hit back? So if she can do it, anyone who can't is weak and stupid and deserves it?

A bit like whenever institutional sexism rears its head, you get a few faces (Sarah Vine, Anne Robinson etc) going on about how back in their day they'd just give as good as they got, so once again anyone complaining just needs to woman up and tell the office perv not to touch what he can't afford etc. And if they don't, they're just reinforcing the "victim" image of women/BAME people/etc, constantly looking for the state to deal with their problems*.

Boils down to individualism, lack of empathy, and an aversion to government action.

*In many cases, the laws are there, but need to be enforced fairly. So for many minority communities it's important to get into the system to ensure they get the protection the law is supposed to offer.
By Malcolm Armsteen
Mad Nad has endorsed Liz 'Surgical' Truss 'because she's a woman'.

Now just think how that would sound in reverse.

These people have no fucking idea, no intelligence, no skills in their chosen area of activity. They exist only to pander to their own egos. We complain about Johnson the narcissist but they all are. Their overweening conceit is all they've got. And time after time the woeful electorate fall for it. The false constructs they project...
Boiler, Oboogie, zuriblue and 2 others liked this
By Youngian
A bit like whenever institutional sexism rears its head, you get a few faces (Sarah Vine, Anne Robinson etc) going on about how back in their day they'd just give as good as they got, so once again anyone complaining just needs to woman up and tell the office perv not to touch what he can't afford etc. And if they don't, they're just reinforcing the "victim" image of women/BAME people/etc, constantly looking for the state to deal with their problems*.

Then there’s Alf Garnett, the antisemitic loud mouth who even his family are certain is Jewish. This is the new generation of Alfs.
By The Rationalist
It's a challenging topic. I have been doing a lot of mentoring for young people from immigrant backgrounds and a number of them call out the challenges of constantly being interpreted as victims and they want to assert themselves constructively and positively.

I personally think think this is a good thing but everyone's experience is unique and personal to them. My own belief, based on my interactions, is that adopting a stance of constructive respect (i.e. that operating from the perspective of victimhood is probably not a great position to start to grow your life but respecting that some people's experiences are so dire that they have no choice) is a reasonable position to take.
Spoonman liked this
By Boiler
What I find depressing is that only one thing seems to matter to all of the candidates: tax.

I was talking to my sister on Sunday, who is thoroughly depressed by her work in the NHS - she tells me that colleagues are leaving in droves to become things like train drivers rather than burn out on piss-poor money and high workloads. Claps never paid the bills.
Last edited by Boiler on Tue Jul 12, 2022 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Spoonman liked this
By Watchman
Which I find strange in people like Badenoch (what an appropriate name), in their desire "to belong" they create the false battles of culture and free speech, and to paraphrase Braverman, "love being British", I'm sure when her family first arrived they absolutely loved "being British", and the welcome they received; which to me demonstrates people like Badenoch, Patel et al are denying their own culture and that of their parent, and forebearers.
As I read in an article about colonisation, and how the "slave" nations should be grateful for the British bringing such things as Christianity, and totally ignoring the fact that these nations had their own culture and identity for thousands of years before the British came
Spoonman liked this
By Abernathy
Malcolm Armsteen wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 10:33 am
I think it needs to be said, but it's a complex thing. A young black woman denying that there is racial prejudice in the UK in order to please the people who would deny her full rights as a citizen? That is a complicatedly fucked up mind.

Indeed. You said it yourself, in relation to Kwasi Kwarteng,, whom Badenoch would appear to be presenting herself as a sort of distaff version of:
But beyond all that is his demeanour. I've seen it often. The black kid who wants to be accepted by the white gang, and will do anything, however self-debasing, to get them to accept him. But they never will, and he probably knows that. They will piss in his school bag. He will be rejected by both sides.
Spoonman liked this
long long title how many chars? lets see 123 ok more? yes 60

We have created lots of YouTube videos just so you can achieve [...]

Another post test yes yes yes or no, maybe ni? :-/

The best flat phpBB theme around. Period. Fine craftmanship and [...]

Do you need a super MOD? Well here it is. chew on this

All you need is right here. Content tag, SEO, listing, Pizza and spaghetti [...]

Lasagna on me this time ok? I got plenty of cash

this should be fantastic. but what about links,images, bbcodes etc etc? [...]