:sunglasses: 30 % :pray: 3.3 % :laughing: 26.7 % :cry: 26.7 % :🤗 10 % :poo: 3.3 %
Boiler wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 12:19 pm
Abernathy wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 10:42 am Good work here from Yvette,

https://twitter.com/YvetteCooperMP/stat ... WSdx8gPIk8
...and for those of us not signed up to Twitter?

All I can see is this -

Screenshot 2023-08-07 at 12-16-44 Yvette Cooper on Twitter.png

- now, considering some on here get very antsy over blind web links being posted with no context, this is no better.
Does this work?
https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1687 ... 53632.html

I opened an Instagram account in order to have access to Threads. Takes about five minutes and you don’t ever have to post anything.
Youngian wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 12:45 pm

All I can see is this -

- now, considering some on here get very antsy over blind web links being posted with no context, this is no better.
Does this work?

I opened an Instagram account in order to have access to Threads. Takes about five minutes and you don’t ever have to post anything.
It does, thank you :)

I'm just getting increasingly wary of giving my details to the social media giants; even though it doesn't yield as good results, it's one of the reasons I've switched to DuckDuckGo as my default search engine.
Youngian wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 3:51 pm
Andy McDandy wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 1:06 pm "Yebbut has Pixie Balls Cooper put up a refugee in her home?"
There’s soldiers sleeping on the streets. Not that anyone who repeats that line can tell you a single piece of info on this problem.
Nor has ever taken one in, which seems to be the bigot's Kryptonite answer to the rest of us.
Youngian wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 12:45 pm

All I can see is this -

Does this work?

At the risk of confusing the issue, Threads the social network has nothing whatsoever to do with Threadreader, an X (nee Twitter) multi-tweet auto-aggregation app. You don’t need an account with the latter to use the former?
This article is a bit ‘I reckon’ but not a shred of counter evidence that any of it is untrue. In a strange way, I hope the government becomes more mad and ridiculous in the eyes of the world. Make Lee Anderson foreign Secretary.
Our go-it-alone government is becoming an international laughing stock

It was bad enough when diplomats were described as someone sent abroad to lie for their country, but post-Brexit they are being sent abroad to make themselves a laughing stock for their country. No amount of free Ferrero Rocher at embassy parties can compensate for the hurt.

The latest humiliation for them and for the country has come in a busy week of humiliations.

First, the government decided to throw out decades of progress, persuasion and leading by example and instead to start pumping more oil and gas. This is an act of environmental vandalism that can only turn the UK from a voice of international influence to a Billy No-Mates.

Just consider what all of this is doing to the reputation of the country and its soft power in the world. This is not just a matter of the EU and its member states holding their heads in their hands or waiting until we have left the room before having a good laugh.

They and every other country in the world will be looking at what the UK is doing and trying to do and making up their minds about whether the UK can now be trusted, is worth talking to, has less influence and power. In short, are we a serious nation any longer?

The answer is that increasingly the UK is not a country that they need to pay anything like as much attention to. It is appallingly run, its diplomats are desperately trying to teach ministers the very basics of international relations and power and failing, it threatens to break international law, it is threatening to withdraw from the world’s human rights conventions, and it has little or no idea how the EU works, even after more than 40 years of membership.

Combine this with a declining defence budget, an anaemic economy and cuts to foreign aid, and you have the perfect picture of a nation in self-created international decline.

Meanwhile, our diplomats try to hold the line.
And all the while the government they are loyally trying to support and protect from the worst aspects of their own stupidity, is calling them the Blob and a woke bunch of Remainiac traitors.

Even the crème de la crème can do nothing to stop the lies, the self-delusion, the breaking of norms and conventions we helped create, and the almost painful level of stupidity on display. They are fighting in vain; they can do little to slow down let alone stop, the inevitable decline of influence and power. https://www.theneweuropean.co.uk/our-go ... ing-stock/
Oboogie liked this
I see that there is once again talk amongst Tory MPs of withdrawing the UK as a signatory of the European Declaration of Human Rights, and from the jurisdiction of the ECHR. The very definition of panicked desperation, as the day of destiny looms ever closer, but also an old favourite amongst the swivel-eyed.

The talk is apparently of making withdrawal from ECHR jurisdiction a headline manifesto pledge. I started to wonder how they think this will prove a vote-winner, beyond simply appealing to the foam-flecked core vote and giving them a reason not to stay at home watching Bargain Hunt on polling day.

Then I realised : it’s yet another con trick intended to hoodwink the hard of thinking. When I was knocking doors in 2016, I kept encountering people who thought (wrongly) that the European Court of Human Rights was part of the EU, and their interference in British justice to stop us deporting filthy forrins because they had a pet hamster was just another good reason for us to go all out for Brexit. No matter how many times I explained patiently to them that the EHCR was a different and separate institution with absolutely nothing to do with the EU, they did not appear to understand, or want to understand. For them, the mere fact that the court’s name included the word “European” was enough to engender mindless hostility and revitalised enthusiasm for Brexit.

I think the Tories intend to try to turn such idiocy to their advantage again. That’s how desperate - and how dishonest - they are.
Abernathy wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 10:04 pm Then I realised : it’s yet another con trick intended to hoodwink the hard of thinking. When I was knocking doors in 2016, I kept encountering people who thought (wrongly) that the European Court of Human Rights was part of the EU, and their interference in British justice to stop us deporting filthy forrins because they had a pet hamster was just another good reason for us to go all out for Brexit. No matter how many times I explained patiently to them that the EHCR was a different and separate institution with absolutely nothing to do with the EU, they did not appear to understand, or want to understand. For them, the mere fact that the court’s name included the word “European” was enough to engender mindless hostility and revitalised enthusiasm for Brexit.
Presumably pointing out that (a) it predates the EU/EEC/whatever and (b) that Blighty was instrumental in setting it up post-WW2 in response to the horrors that went in the years prior cut no ice?
Boiler wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 10:47 pm
Abernathy wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 10:04 pm Then I realised : it’s yet another con trick intended to hoodwink the hard of thinking. When I was knocking doors in 2016, I kept encountering people who thought (wrongly) that the European Court of Human Rights was part of the EU, and their interference in British justice to stop us deporting filthy forrins because they had a pet hamster was just another good reason for us to go all out for Brexit. No matter how many times I explained patiently to them that the EHCR was a different and separate institution with absolutely nothing to do with the EU, they did not appear to understand, or want to understand. For them, the mere fact that the court’s name included the word “European” was enough to engender mindless hostility and revitalised enthusiasm for Brexit.
Presumably pointing out that (a) it predates the EU/EEC/whatever and (b) that Blighty was instrumental in setting it up post-WW2 in response to the horrors that went in the years prior cut no ice?

Indeed.
Elsewhere today I have seen (on a railway preservation forum) on the subject of asylum seekers on the Bibby Stockholm:

"So what are these "squalid conditions"? As you're so concerned why not offer to accommodate some of them?"

"Entering a country, any, including the UK without permission is illegal ..fact. They are not asylum seekers until they are detained by the authorities, and request asylum. Until that point they are illegal immigrants."

"I'm just wondering what your reaction would be if I unannounced showed up on your doorstep to inform you that henceforth you will have the pleasure of not only welcoming me into your household, and will henceforth be providing me at no cost to myself, of course, with full accommodation, feeding and clothing me plus providing me with entertainment and money to spend as I wish for as long as I wish to remain in your home? "

The thing about railway preservation is that it's an ideal home for those who wish Britain was still white and in the 1950s.
Last edited by Boiler on Fri Aug 11, 2023 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
long long title how many chars? lets see 123 ok more? yes 60

We have created lots of YouTube videos just so you can achieve [...]

Another post test yes yes yes or no, maybe ni? :-/

The best flat phpBB theme around. Period. Fine craftmanship and [...]

Do you need a super MOD? Well here it is. chew on this

All you need is right here. Content tag, SEO, listing, Pizza and spaghetti [...]

Lasagna on me this time ok? I got plenty of cash

this should be fantastic. but what about links,images, bbcodes etc etc? [...]