:sunglasses: 27.6 % :pray: 13.8 % :laughing: 34.5 % 🧥 1.7 % :cry: 13.8 % :🤗 6.9 % :poo: 1.7 %
By Nigredo
I would have found little agreement with David Amess on anything and there will be a time to scrutinise his voting record but none of it merited his death.

I am aghast at what happened to David Amess because of the basic principle that people should be able to go to work and not be murdered.
davidjay, Oboogie liked this
By Oboogie
Oblomov wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 10:36 am I would have found little agreement with David Amess on anything and there will be a time to scrutinise his voting record but none of it merited his death.

I am aghast at what happened to David Amess because of the basic principle that people should be able to go to work and not be murdered.
Agreed. It really shouldn't need saying.
David Amess objectionable voting record is irrelevant.
Thomas Mair found Jo Cox's voting record objectionable.
That is also irrelevant.
In a democracy there is a peaceful, legal path to getting rid of politicians with whom we don't agree.
Nigredo, zuriblue liked this
By Youngian
There’s been a lot rhetoric along the lines of Nick Robinson this morning; Amess was one of the good guy local MPs who didn’t climb ‘the greasy pole.’ In other words any politician who actually wants to govern and make a difference is a venal careerist. Anyone in the Labour Party is familiar with this lazy populist piffle.
By Cyclist
Oboogie wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 1:23 pm The implication of that is anyone who rises to their party's front bench is up to no good and motivated by self-interest. No question of them being promoted because they're good at their job of course.
And the current Party of Government are a prime example.
By Youngian
And the current Party of Government are a prime example.

Couldn’t have come at a worse time to argue that politicians aren’t all self-serving and ‘at it’ when we have a government that is. The two are related. Those that gain from inflaming a poisonous culture that deems politicians as venal and corrupt are populists who are.
By Andy McDandy
While there's always been a sentiment of "they're all in it for themselves" about politicians going back to probably the dawn of time, the expenses scandal had a really profound effect on this country's political climate.

"They're all at it" was the popular take, and any trust in politicians was effectively swept away. It was about then that Question Time turned from an effort to actually get opinions from people, into a bear pit where people roared their disapproval. But hey, the ratings went up and they never looked back.

Most damagingly, by destroying people's faith in the probity of MPs, they laid the bar ridiculously low. "OK, they all hate us but they can't do without us, or actually get rid of us because of the selection system and safe seats, so we may as well fill our boots".
By mattomac
Yup, I remember attending fringe events while at University in the 00s (Bournemouth being a favoured party conference town).

Everything seemed more open to be discussed then. Dunno if you would be allowed in those even out of the zone, suppose the Labour far left ones but I’ve read enough about Soviet congresses.
By RedSparrows
As ever, confusing cynicism for scepticism is a poisonous mistake to make, and I'm increasingly convinced people should take more responsibility for committing it. It's on every individual to do better, even as structures and invested power encourage (MSM! The Tories! etc etc...) it remorselessly.
Malcolm Armsteen liked this
By Youngian
mattomac wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 3:47 pm The haunted Victorian fart knows what he is doing….

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-58993387
Is that true? MPs will find out if they accuse him of lying.
Sir Lindsay has encouraged MPs to continue to wear masks during debates, but has said there is "no meaningful way" for him to enforce this as he does not have the right to stop elected MPs entering the Commons.
long long title how many chars? lets see 123 ok more? yes 60

We have created lots of YouTube videos just so you can achieve [...]

Another post test yes yes yes or no, maybe ni? :-/

The best flat phpBB theme around. Period. Fine craftmanship and [...]

Do you need a super MOD? Well here it is. chew on this

All you need is right here. Content tag, SEO, listing, Pizza and spaghetti [...]

Lasagna on me this time ok? I got plenty of cash

this should be fantastic. but what about links,images, bbcodes etc etc? [...]