:sunglasses: 26.1 % :laughing: 60.9 % :cry: 4.3 % :🤗 8.7 %
By Crabcakes
Andy McDandy wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 8:49 am https://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/arti ... a-job.html

He's back, and cunty as ever. Yay for Boris and everything he says, boo for everything his government does, and no, there's no link between the two. He also shows a wilful ignorance of economics and industry, and blames everything on everyone else. Finally some jabs at eco-protesters (rehashing an old anecdote about a fleeting sleb from 25 years ago), and has a sneer about men dancing together.

You can see why he likes Johnson.
Well he and Johnson do have a lot in common. By which I specifically mean their surnames and the nomnative determinism that they are both utter dicks - with a special bonus for Richard for going one step further and being "Dick Smalldick".
By Bones McCoy
satnav wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 12:46 pm Littlejohn seems to think that the job of broccoli picking is a full time job for 12 months of the year. He clearly doesn't understand the concept of seasonal work.
Any recent picture of Littlejohn says "This man knows little about vegetables".
By Crabcakes
Youngian wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 7:38 pm WTF is motivating this Mail obsession with homeworkers? Not convinced its just a favour to property developers. Are they worried about the metropolitan wokes moving into Mail Land?
Extended culture war. Make older people (the Mail’s main audience) resentful that younger people are “shirking off” (as opposed to, say, losing over a year from their lives shut in trying to protect older people from a disease that will universally be worse for them). Get them angry and annoyed that they are somehow being hard done by, and they keep buying papers and voting for the party that seems willing to tell these young people to get off their backsides.

It’s the same fostered Mail reader mentality as “exams are easier these days” (when your typical gammon can barely use a set-top box, let alone pass a modern GCSE in computing), “so what if we have job losses because of brexit” (they’re retired), “so what if some foods are much more scarce/expensive these days” (I had it shit but then enjoyed decades of plenty of choice - I insist you now have it shit too while I can still enjoy the choice as I’m better off now), “young people should stop drinking lattes and save for a house” (I bought a house on a single wage and paid it off by 50, so have no concept of the price these days - but it’s bound to be the difference between £1000 on coffee or not).
Last edited by Crabcakes on Wed Oct 13, 2021 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Youngian, Watchman, Rosvanian and 1 others liked this
By mattomac
Not just the Mail, the BBC seemed obsessed with posting articles on why someone thought office work was essential, it was usually someone finance related at first but then they just seemed to have randoms after a while.

It was usually balanced out with a survey from 700 businesses that were in favour of some hybrid working. The charity sector seems to have further with it as have Universities and councils so that probably explains the opposition. Effectively anywhere with expensive overheads, lack of space or places cut to the bone.

It’s a fundamental shift and I understand it’s not for everyone and some jobs have no aspect of it but it’s helped my work life balance and my mental health.

It may once it settles down be one of the only good things to come out from it. Yes I probably have worked less hours because I’ve been at home but I’m only measuring that on the hours I did rather than trying to pretend work at times in the office (Advice is a very peak and troughs service in a University).

However when it is busy I have worked far longer and instead of being stuck in an office overcompensating in the busy periods I can be at home and done once I’ve replied to that last student for the day.

Being stuck on an empty campus catching up at gone 9pm wasn’t helping in the slightest, also there is the situation that students don’t work 9-5. Early in the pandemic I took at a zoom at 12am from west coast America but it suited us both.

I think my 9pm days are now done, if it gets past six I’ll probably head home and do it there, I’ll be settling into a 3 at home, 2 in the office pattern from next week. And that’s fine.
Last edited by mattomac on Wed Oct 13, 2021 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Andy McDandy
Littlejohn doesn't help his own argument when he admits to WFHing himself, and his recollections of his newsroom-based days are largely long boozy lunches, slacking off, and filing knowingly bogus copy.
Amazonian liked this
That's journalism in a nutshell.
By Rosvanian
Crabcakes wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 9:24 am
Youngian wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 7:38 pm WTF is motivating this Mail obsession with homeworkers? Not convinced its just a favour to property developers. Are they worried about the metropolitan wokes moving into Mail Land?
Extended culture war. Make older people (the Mail’s main audience) resentful that younger people are “shirking off” (as opposed to, say, losing over a year from their lives shut trying to protect older people from a disease that will universally be worse for them). Get them angry and annoyed that they are somehow being hard done by, and they keep buying papers and voting for the party that seems willing to tell these young people to get off their backsides.

It’s the same fostered Mail reader mentality as “exams are easier these days” (when your typical gammon can barely use a set-top box, let alone pass a modern GCSE in computing), “so what if we have job losses because of brexit” (they’re retired), “so what if some foods are much more scarce/expensive these days” (I had it shit but then enjoyed decades of plenty of choice - I insist you now have it shit too while I can still enjoy the choice as I’m better off now), “young people should stop drinking lattes and save for a house” (I bought a house on a single wage and paid it off by 50, so have no concept of the price these days - but it’s bound to be the difference between £1000 on coffee or not).
I think your analysis is spot on. What I find endlessly fascinating though, is how these people end up a so embittered and seething with anger and resentment.
By Andy McDandy
As I've said before, it's not as if the target audience in all these Proms/National Trust/Shakespeare furores are avid consumers of those particular brands of culture. I don't mean to be snobby, but does anyone think that some thick as shit Sun reader is going to spend their Sundays dragging their kids round an art gallery? Or taking them to the theatre to enjoy Measure for Measure?

It seems to be about pushing a certain brand of culture - one that's rooted in 'heritage', a simplified and whitewashed view of the past. One in which everyone was proud to be British, or envious of us, and rightly so because we were not only best at wars but weren't beastly like the foreigners were to the natives and could write plays and shit.

And that's the thing - anyone with even a passing familiarity with Shakespeare would tell you that colour and gender blind casting, time shifts, and so on are nothing new. In fact they're what sets him apart because he doesn't put in character descriptions or detailed set layouts. Read one of his plays. It's dialogue, and a few enters and exits. Everything else is up to the director and cast. Or the Proms - they've been awash with EU flags and foreign musicians for years too. Yes, they sing Rule Britannia, but almost in a tongue in cheek way. It's an expression of patriotism for sure, but in an outgoing and upbeat (and inclusive) way.

In the end, people are fed an image of how things should be, and get upset when they realise things aren't that simple. But rather than investigate the complexity, it's easier to just whinge.
Watchman, Nigredo, mattomac and 1 others liked this
By Crabcakes
Rosvanian wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 2:09 pm I think your analysis is spot on. What I find endlessly fascinating though, is how these people end up a so embittered and seething with anger and resentment.
I think in a lot of cases some people get to a certain age (or a certain level of physical ability), realise they never got round to doing that thing they always wanted to, then realise they now have neither the money and/or the energy to do it and become immensely jealous of those who have a wealth of something they don't and can never have again - time.
By Andy McDandy
I think that another part of it is being told from an early age that there is a "right" way to live and do things, and generally they've followed that and achieved a level of comfort and security. Then they see people not following that way and apparently enjoying themselves and having a good and fulfilling life - whether it's LGBTQ+ people living in loving relationships or partying hard (or both), or a poor person (most likely through a deal they could apply for if only they thought of it) enjoying a gadget or possession they would have had to save up for.
Like I once said on here, they live to begrudge.

Because they are failures.
By Bones McCoy
Crabcakes wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 4:20 pm
Rosvanian wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 2:09 pm I think your analysis is spot on. What I find endlessly fascinating though, is how these people end up a so embittered and seething with anger and resentment.
I think in a lot of cases some people get to a certain age (or a certain level of physical ability), realise they never got round to doing that thing they always wanted to, then realise they now have neither the money and/or the energy to do it and become immensely jealous of those who have a wealth of something they don't and can never have again - time.
Never underestimate the skill with which these highly trained and paid professionals (Never through I'd say that about leader writers) scratch the itch of jealousy, resentment, and the message that you are somehow missing out compared to "them".
long long title how many chars? lets see 123 ok more? yes 60

We have created lots of YouTube videos just so you can achieve [...]

Another post test yes yes yes or no, maybe ni? :-/

The best flat phpBB theme around. Period. Fine craftmanship and [...]

Do you need a super MOD? Well here it is. chew on this

All you need is right here. Content tag, SEO, listing, Pizza and spaghetti [...]

Lasagna on me this time ok? I got plenty of cash

this should be fantastic. but what about links,images, bbcodes etc etc? [...]