:sunglasses: 26.1 % :laughing: 60.9 % :cry: 4.3 % :🤗 8.7 %
By Rosvanian
Like the vast majority of the public, I couldn't give a shit about about the Last fucking Night of the fucking Proms. Neither does a classical music loving good friend of mine. In fact, who actually does? The only reason I know it still exists is because fragile, whiny right-wing gobshites get upset every September because they've been triggered by someone waving the wrong fucking flag at this poxy event. And I think to myself, is that all these fuckers have got? Is that really it?
Dalem Lake liked this
By Andy McDandy
Rosvanian wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 8:45 pm Like the vast majority of the public, I couldn't give a shit about about the Last fucking Night of the fucking Proms. Neither does a classical music loving good friend of mine. In fact, who actually does? The only reason I know it still exists is because fragile, whiny right-wing gobshites get upset every September because they've been triggered by someone waving the wrong fucking flag at this poxy event. And I think to myself, is that all these fuckers have got? Is that really it?
Because it's tradition, so has to be the way they want.

In fact, tradition is a good way to categorise the National Trust, Shakespeare, saints' days, historical accounts and loads more. They aren't interested in history, or finding out more, or how things adapt over time; they just want tradition.
By Bones McCoy
Rosvanian wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 8:45 pm Like the vast majority of the public, I couldn't give a shit about about the Last fucking Night of the fucking Proms. Neither does a classical music loving good friend of mine. In fact, who actually does? The only reason I know it still exists is because fragile, whiny right-wing gobshites get upset every September because they've been triggered by someone waving the wrong fucking flag at this poxy event. And I think to myself, is that all these fuckers have got? Is that really it?
It intrigued me during my childhood.

As an adult, I've shifted it into a couple of categories.
"Serious" music for people who don't like serious music.
"Compulsory fun" - like when your work has a fancy dress day, but organised by serious musicians.

I've caught a few other proms events on the radio, and it seems that the Last night is also the worst night.

Imagine if your local carnival has a music event, with a whole bunch of local bands, and closing with Showaddywaddy.
Dalem Lake liked this
By Youngian
Bones McCoy wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 11:04 am
I've caught a few other proms events on the radio, and it seems that the Last night is also the worst night.

Imagine if your local carnival has a music event, with a whole bunch of local bands, and closing with Showaddywaddy.
I can
Attachments
IMG_4566.jpeg
IMG_4566.jpeg (169.1 KiB) Viewed 3206 times
By Andy McDandy
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.dailym ... ol-EU.html

Illiterate, illogical, ignorant asylum greatest shits piece. Every cliché, all in one bundle. The system is broken, nothing works, but any suggestions on how to fix it are wrong, because they might work. And show up the people who should be making it work, if they were any good.

Meanwhile, this made me laugh;
The net immigration figure was just over 600,000, but only by taking into account foreign nationals who left and thousands upon thousands of British citizens who decided they'd had enough and it was time to get out of Dodge.
Yes, cunt, that's what a net figure is.

Also I hope none of those British citizens getting out of Dodge were young men of military age...

Cunt.
By slilley
Andy McDandy wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 5:59 am
Because it's tradition, so has to be the way they want.

In fact, tradition is a good way to categorise the National Trust, Shakespeare, saints' days, historical accounts and loads more. They aren't interested in history, or finding out more, or how things adapt over time; they just want tradition.
Having written several books on railway history, some of what I have written has not been known before because I have done the hard yards and trawled through pages and pages of archive material to get tothe bottom of what actually happened. That is what historians do. It is why history is not a fixed set of facts. As more material becomes available so our understanding of events increases. The problem is that when the National Trust says they are going to include details of how a country estate was built using the profits of slavery some folk get a fit of vapours and claim the National Trust has gone all woke. No the NT are telling a more complete story and so are educating people and increasing knowledge and understanding.
By Andy McDandy
Yes, absolutely. And anyone genuinely interested in their country's history would - you'd think - be happy with that. Not just on a basis of honesty or revisionism - warts and all history is popular. Just ask the London Dungeon, or Terry Deary.

If the NT flags up how a stately home was built with the proceeds of slavery, one would hope that any reasonable person would be able to absorb that without having a fit of the vapours. Explain to the kids that yes, in the past, people did some very cruel things, but we know better now. Admiring the Tower of London doesn't mean that you approve of chopping off women's heads.

I suspect the reason people are getting so worked up about statues and mansions is that it goes against their "great men" theory of history (if you could call it that), in which everyone is either a hero or a villain. Churchill - beat the Nazis. That's it. Wellington - beat Napoleon. Alfred the Great - cakes. Everyone summed up in a single slugline, goodie or baddie, by their defining work shall ye know them. So, someone pointing out that the person up on that pedestal may have done some pretty dodgy stuff is effectively questioning why they're up there at all - and whether this great men theory actually holds any water.
Yug, Watchman, lambswool liked this
By Bones McCoy
Andy McDandy wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 9:30 am Yes, absolutely. And anyone genuinely interested in their country's history would - you'd think - be happy with that. Not just on a basis of honesty or revisionism - warts and all history is popular. Just ask the London Dungeon, or Terry Deary.

If the NT flags up how a stately home was built with the proceeds of slavery, one would hope that any reasonable person would be able to absorb that without having a fit of the vapours. Explain to the kids that yes, in the past, people did some very cruel things, but we know better now. Admiring the Tower of London doesn't mean that you approve of chopping off women's heads.

I suspect the reason people are getting so worked up about statues and mansions is that it goes against their "great men" theory of history (if you could call it that), in which everyone is either a hero or a villain. Churchill - beat the Nazis. That's it. Wellington - beat Napoleon. Alfred the Great - cakes. Everyone summed up in a single slugline, goodie or baddie, by their defining work shall ye know them. So, someone pointing out that the person up on that pedestal may have done some pretty dodgy stuff is effectively questioning why they're up there at all - and whether this great men theory actually holds any water.
Excellent summary:

As if History could be sumed up by Del Boy falling through the bar, Compo riding a bath down the hill, or Manwaring saying "Don't tell 'em Pike!".

Or what this "traditional history" brigade might call "dumbed down".
By Youngian
Of course it’s a bit difficult to acclimatise to a 20mph speed limit if you’re not used to it, that’s why you impose speed limits.

If the likes of Littlejohn told us what they really mean you’d have a bit more respect of them; ‘I don’t give a fuck about the world we leave our grandchildren if it means making adjustments to my lifestyle.’
long long title how many chars? lets see 123 ok more? yes 60

We have created lots of YouTube videos just so you can achieve [...]

Another post test yes yes yes or no, maybe ni? :-/

The best flat phpBB theme around. Period. Fine craftmanship and [...]

Do you need a super MOD? Well here it is. chew on this

All you need is right here. Content tag, SEO, listing, Pizza and spaghetti [...]

Lasagna on me this time ok? I got plenty of cash

this should be fantastic. but what about links,images, bbcodes etc etc? [...]