:sunglasses: 57.1 % :pray: 4.8 % :laughing: 28.6 % :poo: 9.5 %
By Tubby Isaacs
Killer Whale wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2024 2:30 pm
Tubby Isaacs wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2024 1:59 pm Trouble is that taxes aren't low by historical British standards
Can anyone point me to a decent explainer that can tell me why this should be the case at the same time as there being no money for basic services? I don't need an idiots' guide - I studied Economics to degree level, albeit as part of a politics degree, just something reasonably concise and readable.
Demographics is very important, like all across Europe. I think older people cost something like ten times the average to the NHS, before you get to the pensions. The Triple Lock has in my view been a mistake, given how hard other things have been squeezed and how hard it is to raise taxes to pay for funding those other things as well. I'd have done more of the Gordo targeted approach.

Also, I think, the expectation of what tax rates should be was very much set by the 80s-90s, in which tax rates were kept low by windfalls from North Sea Oil and privatisation proceeds. Neil Kinnock and John Smith tried to raise them in 1992 and massively underperformed. So here we are.
By Tubby Isaacs
Jez popped up again today, talking about how "the left offered solutions". The solution was "you want this stuff, paid for by someone else?" Which would solve a few things, no doubt, but he threw in such trifles as student debt and social housing. I don't back him as being the first man anywhere in Europe to square the circle.
By Tubby Isaacs
I see the Labour candidate in Islington North is being hit with "private healthcare bastard". He's been involved in running a company that provides IVF.

What's the logic of this? That the NHS should provide unlimited IVF for free? That people shouldn't be allowed to try IVF privately? That private providers shouldn't make profits? Maybe I'd tuned out by the 2019 election, but I can't recall Jez arguing for a massive increase in IVF on the NHS. Is he even arguing for it now?

It probably plays well, but I can't stand this stuff. Same with Owen Smith having "pharma lobbyist" held against him. Bloke worked in important industry, generally that's a good thing. I can accept that politics is personal and Jez has copped his share of that. It's more that it's made out of complete ignorance of how you might fund (the implied) Jez policy cost? They've no idea. Same with him committing to "deal with" student debt, pulling 58bn WASPI out of his arse in the last week of the campaign, his history of Kipperism etc.
By Crabcakes
Tubby Isaacs wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2024 3:55 pm Jez popped up again today, talking about how "the left offered solutions". The solution was "you want this stuff, paid for by someone else?" Which would solve a few things, no doubt, but he threw in such trifles as student debt and social housing. I don't back him as being the first man anywhere in Europe to square the circle.
The solutions he offered, such as free broadband, were to things that weren’t particularly problems while ignoring the things that actually were problems because a solution to them was either too difficult or would have required him to do something ‘icky’, like compromise.
Spoonman, Oboogie liked this
By Tubby Isaacs
He could have offered free broadband tmrw by giving the poorest vouchers. But what he (rightly) identified as something every household needs would have had to wait four years while he spend a fortune buying up the network and ran it much better than people who actually run it now because there'd be no dividends or something.
By Youngian
Crabcakes wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2024 10:31 am My single regret about no longer being on Twitter is that when Corbyn (hopefully) loses, I won’t be able to send him a message saying “never mind - the real fight starts now” and see how much he fucking likes it.
I can do that on your behalf. He won the argument.
Crabcakes liked this
long long title how many chars? lets see 123 ok more? yes 60

We have created lots of YouTube videos just so you can achieve [...]

Another post test yes yes yes or no, maybe ni? :-/

The best flat phpBB theme around. Period. Fine craftmanship and [...]

Do you need a super MOD? Well here it is. chew on this

All you need is right here. Content tag, SEO, listing, Pizza and spaghetti [...]

Lasagna on me this time ok? I got plenty of cash

this should be fantastic. but what about links,images, bbcodes etc etc? [...]