:sunglasses: 28.6 % :pray: 14.3 % :laughing: 32.1 % :cry: 25 %
By Youngian
Competitive devaluation and global tariff wars is a potential disaster for the world economy. Inflation and lower growth will be the result. I assume Europe will reluctantly reciprocate. Bad News if they do and bad news if they don’t. UK badly needs to maximise SIngle Market alignment if Trump is returned.
Sen. Steve Daines (R-Mont.) said Monday that the party should have more of a conversation about former President Trump's plan for an aggressive tariff regime

Daines is referring to the already announced plan from Trump for an across-the-board 10% tariff on all imported goods, and a 60% levy on Chinese imports. This will, at the margin, push up prices for the US consumer.

In my sub-heading I refer to a US dollar devaluation policy. This has not been announced but it was only April when Trump's running mate trumpeted the policy:

Trump running mate Vance a supporter of US dollar devaluation - "make it easier to export"
Vance is correct on making exports more competitive. The flip side is it makes imports more expensive for consumers (again, at the margin). https://www.forexlive.com/centralbank/u ... 40715/amp/
By Tubby Isaacs
Yeah, this is disastrous stuff, but not exclusively a Republican thing. Democrats in the Mid West, which they have to win, have to go along with this stuff. It's a standing joke that every other bloke in a diner in run down Ohio has been on the telly, but lots of leftists nonetheless convinced themselves that this was the real America, not people who've moved from those towns to get much better jobs in booming Pittsburgh (Ohio).

A better solution might be to tax people doing well in Ohio more and spend it on the area the bloke in the diner lives. Nobody seems to think that Republican governors of Ohio (since 2010) might fix this. So this protectionist stuff is what you get.
By Andy McDandy
Ohio, aside from producing a higher than average number of presidents, hasn't really got anything distinctive going for it. So it actively markets itself as the Average State. It's basically the American equivalent of Crewe.
By Youngian
People would never guess the US automotive industry is extremely bouyant and the biggest exporter after China. But in Texas or Arizona not Michigan or Ohio. Much nearer to supply chains in Mexico who have also done well out of reshoreing from China. Are NAFTA partners going to face theses tariffs? The price of US manufactured goods will rocket.
By Youngian
It's a standing joke that every other bloke in a diner in run down Ohio has been on the telly, but lots of leftists nonetheless convinced themselves that this was the real America, not people who've moved from those towns to get much better jobs in booming Pittsburgh (Ohio).
According to some piece Rory Stewart was quoting, Vance’s hillbilly demographic at the sharp end of economic depression and opioid addiction represents about 15% of the electorate.
By Abernathy
I was listening to John Pienaar on Times Radio, in Milwaukee at the GOP convention, doing vox pops with a few attendees. Trump’s survival of the assassination attempt was the result of “divine intervention”. Yup. Almighty God saved the Donald from a bullet in the head, because he has plans for him as blessed leader for life of the USA.

Fucking morons. These people actually believe this bollocks.

And in so many ways, this is why it isn’t Trump himself that is so scary. It’s the millions of people who are so fucking devoted to this crook.

Sometimes the USA seems to be populated by superstitious, vindictive simpletons. Who idolise a crooked, sex-offending, swindling grifter.

Jeebus, it ‘s depressing.
By Youngian
Abernathy wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2024 7:44 pm I was listening to John Pienaar on Times Radio, in Milwaukee at the GOP convention, doing vox pops with a few attendees. Trump’s survival of the assassination attempt was the result of “divine intervention”. Yup. Almighty God saved the Donald from a bullet in the head, because he has plans for him as blessed leader for life of the USA.

And in so many ways, this is why it isn’t Trump himself that is so scary. It’s the millions of people who are so fucking devoted to this crook.

Sometimes the USA seems to be populated by superstitious, vindictive simpletons. Who idolise a crooked, sex-offending, swindling grifter.

Kari Lake a Trumpian senate candidate losing her shit with Emily Maitlis is an extraordinary watch. Cult like denial
https://x.com/thenewsagents/status/1813 ... 19453?s=46
Oboogie liked this
By Crabcakes
The Kari Lake interview is, I think, a sign of the absolute shitshow that is going to go down when there is no more Trump - and I don’t mean incarceration or losing the election. I mean when he dies suddenly from a huge stroke or heart attack (because he will), and the GOP implodes as all cults do when there is no heir. The heritage loons will not want a Trump child as they’re all useless. The Trumps will want to cling on to any and all power. The true believers like Lake and sell outs like Nikki Hayley will want a suitable replacement because of their sunk cost fallacy. House and Senate GOP can barely hold themselves together as is, but will want someone they can control. The never Trumpers and the scorned might see an opportunity to get back in.

And this is all odds-on to happen in the very near future. It’s an absolute house of cards, there’s a strong breeze, and the window is wide open…
By Malcolm Armsteen
Apparently strong rumours that Biden will withdraw tomorrow.
By Abernathy
I said from the outset that the way to handle this was for Biden to announce that he was withdrawing from the presidential race on expert medical advice. A dignified announcement like this would surely elicit nothing but public sympathy and good wishes. It would create the space, and the time, for the Democrats to move Kamala Harris, or whoever, into place as the more vigorous candidate to save the USA from Trumpocalypse II.

It certainly looks more than ever that Biden continuing to seek re-election is simply not viable. This diagnosis of Covid 19 could be the excuse that he needs to withdraw with dignity and the public’s goodwill.
Youngian, lambswool liked this
By Yug
Abernathy wrote:A dignified announcement like this would surely elicit nothing but public sympathy and good wishes.
It will elicit sympathy and good wishes from the more intelligent, but the reaction from the MAGA cunts will be the opposite. They know Covid is a hoax. "Sleepy Joe is running away because he knows he's gonna lose" will be one of the nicer things said. Don't forget that these people make Fargle & Co look civilised.
Oboogie, Arrowhead liked this
By Spoonman
Youngian wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2024 9:08 pm
Abernathy wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2024 7:44 pm I was listening to John Pienaar on Times Radio, in Milwaukee at the GOP convention, doing vox pops with a few attendees. Trump’s survival of the assassination attempt was the result of “divine intervention”. Yup. Almighty God saved the Donald from a bullet in the head, because he has plans for him as blessed leader for life of the USA.

Kari Lake a Trumpian senate candidate losing her shit with Emily Maitlis is an extraordinary watch. Cult like denial
https://x.com/thenewsagents/status/1813 ... 19453?s=46
“Those who cling to worthless idols turn away from God’s love for them."
Jonah 2:8 :geek:
long long title how many chars? lets see 123 ok more? yes 60

We have created lots of YouTube videos just so you can achieve [...]

Another post test yes yes yes or no, maybe ni? :-/

The best flat phpBB theme around. Period. Fine craftmanship and [...]

Do you need a super MOD? Well here it is. chew on this

All you need is right here. Content tag, SEO, listing, Pizza and spaghetti [...]

Lasagna on me this time ok? I got plenty of cash

this should be fantastic. but what about links,images, bbcodes etc etc? [...]